Presidents Address to BSA Jamboree

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2005
      The QBSA coverarge of the show was cool. In case you missed it,
      here is a trasncript from the White House:

      Remarks By President Bush at 2005 National Scout Jamboree

      WASHINGTON, July 31 -- The following is a transcript of remarks by
      President Bush:

      Fort A.P. Hill
      Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia
      7:19 P.M. EDT

      THE PRESIDENT: Daniel, thank you for your introduction. It's such an
      honor to be here. Laura and I join Americans across our country in
      extending our sympathy and prayers to the families of the Scout
      leaders who lost their lives so tragically earlier this week. The
      men you lost were models of good citizenship, leaders who stepped
      forward to serve a good and selfless cause. As Scout leaders they
      devoted themselves to helping young men develop the character and
      skills they need to realize their dreams. These men will always be
      remembered for their leadership and kindness. And you Scouts honor
      them by living up to the ideals of the scouting they served.

      Daniel, I want to thank you for your introduction. I appreciate the
      Scouts picking a fellow Texan to introduce me. (Applause.)

      I want to thank Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis for her leadership. I
      don't know if you realize this, but she sponsored legislation in the
      House of Representatives to ensure that the Boy Scouts are granted
      equal access to public lands. (Applause.)

      I want to thank the President of the Boy Scouts, John Cushman; Roy
      Williams, the Chief Scout Executive; Fran Olmstead, the Chairman of
      this fantastic jamboree. I also want to thank Major General Jay
      Yingling, who is the Commander of the Fort A.P. Hill. General, thank
      you and all your troops for making sure this jamboree was a great
      success. (Applause.)

      Here at the 16th National Scout Jamboree, you're carrying on a
      tradition that dates back almost seven decades. President Franklin
      Roosevelt came to the first jamboree in 1937. I don't think he rode
      in the same kind of helicopter I did, though. (Laughter.) You know,
      I was looking forward to coming last week, but the thunderstorms got
      in the way. So I appreciate the rain check. (Laughter and applause.)
      It's a fantastic sight to look out on more than 30,000 young men
      wearing the uniform of the Boy Scouts. (Applause.)

      At this base there are Scouts from all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico,
      Guam, the Virgin Islands, and countries from all around the world.
      (Applause.) As a former Cub Scout from Midland, Texas, I'm
      especially glad to be here with the Texas Scouts. (Applause.) Sounds
      like you brought a big delegation this year. (Applause.)

      Coming to this jamboree gives me great confidence in the future of
      our nation. For nearly a hundred years, Boy Scouts have set a high
      standard of service and duty to God and country. Millions of
      Americans have pledged the Scout oath: On my honor, I'll do my best.
      And through the generations, Scouts have made America a stronger and
      better nation. (Applause.)

      Scouts have excelled in fields from science to business to education
      to the arts. Scouts have earned Olympic Gold Medals, Nobel Prizes
      and Academy Awards. Thousands of Scouts have shown the highest form
      of patriotism, by going on to wear the uniform of the United States
      military. (Applause.)

      The first Scout Jamboree was held in Washington, D.C. The Scouts
      have felt at home in the Nation's Capital ever since. More than half
      of the current members of the United States Congress participated in
      the Scouts. One of the capital's most famous Scouts is President
      Gerald Ford. (Applause.) He first saw Washington just a few years
      after he earned his Eagle badge, and eventually became the first
      Eagle Scout to call the White House his home. (Applause.)

      As President, I have the privilege to work with Scouts every day.
      When I come to the Oval Office in the morning, the first person I
      see is a Scout -- my Chief of Staff, Andy Card, from the state of
      Massachusetts. (Applause.) Down the hall is Vice President Dick
      Cheney, a Boy Scout from Casper, Wyoming. (Applause.) And across the
      river at the Pentagon sits an Eagle Scout from Illinois who
      Americans count on to "be prepared" -- Secretary of Defense Donald
      Rumsfeld. (Applause.)

      These Scouts have a lot of things in common, and one of the most
      important is that they all benefited from the influence of a caring
      adult early in their lives. Across America, Scoutmasters and
      volunteers devote long hours to building the knowledge and integrity
      of our Scouts. It's not always an easy job. When I was a Cub Scout,
      my mother was our den mother. It's about the time her hair turned
      white. (Laughter.) I want to thank the Scoutmasters of America and
      the volunteer Scouters for taking the time to care. I want to thank
      you for your leadership, and thank you for setting such a good
      example for a new generation of Scouts. (Applause.)

      When you join a Scout troop and put on the Boy Scout uniform you
      make a statement. Your uniform is a sign that you're a certain kind
      of citizen -- trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous,
      kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.
      (Applause.) These are the values of scouting, and they're important
      values for America. By working to live up to them, you're bringing
      great credit to yourselves and to our nation.

      Coming to this jamboree is a great way to practice the values of
      Scout law. And when you get back home there are a few lessons you
      might keep in mind. The first one is one you've probably heard
      before, and it's one of the most valuable lessons I've learned --
      listen to your mother. (Applause.) I didn't have much choice -- Mom
      always has a way of speaking her mind. When I paid attention, I
      benefited. And that's how it still works. Listen, you may not always
      agree with your mother, but think of it this way: The first voice
      you heard is always worth listening to.

      Second, always remember where you come from and what you believe. At
      times, you may come across people who say that moral truth is
      relative, or call a religious faith a comforting allusion. They may
      question the values you learn in scouting. But remember, lives of
      purpose are constructed on the conviction there is right and there
      is wrong, and we can know the difference. (Applause.)

      In the years ahead you will find that indifferent or cynical people
      accomplish little that makes them proud. You'll find that
      confronting injustice and evil requires a vision of goodness and
      truth. You'll find that many in your community, especially those
      younger than you, look to you as an example of conduct and
      leadership. For your sake, and for the sake of our country, I hope
      you'll always strive to be men of conviction and character.
      (Applause.)

      Finally, your life will grow in meaning when you serve a cause
      greater than yourself. There's a wise saying: We make a living by
      what we get; we make a life by what we give. (Applause.) That truth
      is expressed well in the Scout slogan: Do a good turn daily.
      (Applause.) When you help someone in need, you're making America
      more hopeful, one heart and one soul at a time. And you're answering
      the call to love a neighbor just like you'd like to be loved
      yourself. (Applause.)

      Every day, every day Scouts are showing that the greatest strength
      of America lies in the hearts and souls of our citizens. Through
      your Good Turn for America initiative, Scouts have given more than
      1.4 million hours of volunteer service this year alone. (Applause.)
      In Nebraska, Scouts have made more than 11,000 pocket-size flags to
      send to troops serving overseas. (Applause.) In California, Boy
      Scouts donated money they raised for summer camps to help victims of
      the tsunami in Asia. (Applause.) In Louisiana, Scouts collected five
      tons of food to donate to a food bank. (Applause.) In Florida, Boy
      Scouts and Cub Scouts worked together to clean up the roads before
      the Super Bowl. (Applause.) And right here at the National Jamboree,
      Scouts are working with Habitat for Humanity to build a home for a
      Virginia family in need. (Applause.) On behalf of a grateful nation,
      I thank the Boy Scouts for serving on the front line of America's
      armies of compassion. (Applause.)

      Another organization devoted to service is USA Freedom Corps. I
      created the USA Freedom Corps in 2002 to match willing volunteers
      with opportunities in their communities. If you're interested in
      serving America, if you're listening to my speech today to the Boy
      Scouts, call up USAFreedomCorps.gov to find out ways that you can
      join other kind-hearted Americans across our nation to mentor
      children, to assist the elderly, to clean up the neighborhoods and
      perform countless acts of generosity. (Applause.) This year, Laura
      is going to work with organizations like the Boy Scouts to lead an
      initiative called Helping America's Youth.

      The Boy Scouts are recognizing our call to service with a special
      honor. I was pleased to accept the Good Turn for America award on
      behalf of the millions of volunteers all across our country who are
      helping this country be a hopeful place. (Applause.) By making a
      commitment to service, to integrity, and to good citizenship, all of
      you are showing your gratitude for the blessings of freedom.

      You also understand that freedom must be defended, and I appreciate
      the Scouts' long tradition of supporting the men and women of the
      United States military. (Applause.) Your generation is growing up in
      an historic time, a time when freedom is on the march, and America
      is proud to lead the armies of liberation. (Applause.) I believe
      we're laying the foundations of peace for decades to come.

      And that's not the only reason I'm optimistic about the decades
      ahead, because I'm standing in front of America's future leaders.
      When you follow your conscience, and the ideals you have sworn as a
      Scout, there is no limit to what you can achieve for our country.
      (Applause.) Continue to make right choices in life; continue to set
      high standards; continue to be a leader.

      Thanks for hosting me tonight. May God bless you all, and may God
      continue to bless the United States of America. (Applause.)

      END 7:37 P.M. EDT

      SOURCE White House Press Office

      CONTACT: White House Press Office +1-202-456-2580