Re: QBSA is streaming on the internet

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "iamemg" <iamemg@h...> wrote:
      > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Allan R. Batteiger"
      <arb@r...>
      > > wrote:
      > Does anyone know what type of liscense is required to run a station
      > using "Q" call-letters?

      Actually, if you're an unlicensed low-power radio station (remember
      QBSA on 91.5 MHz really only needs to reach about 2 miles in any
      direction), I don't believe you need any call letters at all. But
      I'll defer to folks who've actually worked with such stations. My
      broadcast experience is limited to WLVR at Lehigh University.
      College stations are different.

      As an additional aside, since it's on Fort AP Hill, I wouldn't be
      suprised if the transmitter is actually a US Army Civil Affairs
      transmitter, similar to what they might set up in country that's
      under US occupation. And of course the US Army, being under DOD, is
      NOT regulated by the FCC. The FCC only regulates civilian
      transmitters.

      Aside from the recruting bonanza of exposing 40,000 teenage
      patriotic boys to the military, the Army loves the Jamboree as a
      rare test of their ability to support an encamped corps or a refugee
      camp. Civil Affairs, Public Affirs, MP's, Engineers, Medical and
      Transportation units all get to refine their skills with 40,000
      Scouts acting the part of the troops or refugees.

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • kx1x@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2005
        Greetings from K2BSA/4, Ham Radio station at the National Jamboree!

        Nate, W2NAF, is operating (SLOWWWW...) CW every night after 10:PM on 7.030,
        until about midnight, or slightly thereafter. He notes that you'll have to
        endure 10 w.p.m., but promises to be there every night through Monday night.

        Bob, K3RC, is your man pounding the brass each day on the VA NTS nets. We also
        have a packet BBS e-mail address k2bsa-1 (on w4za-3). (sorry if that address
        isn't enough... I'm not packet literate). {{ hurry... time is running out to
        get traffic in on time, the boys leave on Wednesday. }}

        Nice to talk to some of you on 20m SSB.
        Please understand that we are trying to do QUALITY QSOs when the scouts are in
        the demo tent (during the day from 9 to 5). Please QRX while QSOs with scouts
        are in progress... and be patient. The best time for a quicky 5x9 type contact
        is just after 2100z after the scouts have left to return to their subcamps for
        dinner.
        Its great to be the "DX" on the other side of the pile-up for a change!!!

        QSL cards are available via the address at QRZ.com, or

        K2BSA/4
        Attn: Ray Moyer, S219
        Boy Scouts of America
        1325 West Walnut Hill Lane
        Irving, TX 75015-2079

        PLEASE SEND AN SASE.

        '73 de Kx1x,
        John J. Pise, Jr.
        K2BSA/4 Staffer (2001 & 2005)
      • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
          Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule(s) to give us all, some insight, John.

          I'll bet your having the time of your life!

          YIS

          Jon Pearl - W4ABC
          Greetings from  K2BSA/4, Ham Radio station at the National Jamboree!