Re: QBSA is streaming on the internet

  • iamemg
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
      > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Allan R. Batteiger" <arb@r...>
      > wrote:
      > > FYI

      > BTW, "Q" is assigned to no county as a prefix, so the FCC and the
      > Army use it for temporary broadcast stations for similar military or
      > refugee encampments
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Gary, K2GW

      Does anyone know what type of liscense is required to run a station
      using "Q" call-letters?

      Thanks,
      Eric
    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "iamemg" <iamemg@h...> wrote:
        > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Allan R. Batteiger"
        <arb@r...>
        > > wrote:
        > Does anyone know what type of liscense is required to run a station
        > using "Q" call-letters?

        Actually, if you're an unlicensed low-power radio station (remember
        QBSA on 91.5 MHz really only needs to reach about 2 miles in any
        direction), I don't believe you need any call letters at all. But
        I'll defer to folks who've actually worked with such stations. My
        broadcast experience is limited to WLVR at Lehigh University.
        College stations are different.

        As an additional aside, since it's on Fort AP Hill, I wouldn't be
        suprised if the transmitter is actually a US Army Civil Affairs
        transmitter, similar to what they might set up in country that's
        under US occupation. And of course the US Army, being under DOD, is
        NOT regulated by the FCC. The FCC only regulates civilian
        transmitters.

        Aside from the recruting bonanza of exposing 40,000 teenage
        patriotic boys to the military, the Army loves the Jamboree as a
        rare test of their ability to support an encamped corps or a refugee
        camp. Civil Affairs, Public Affirs, MP's, Engineers, Medical and
        Transportation units all get to refine their skills with 40,000
        Scouts acting the part of the troops or refugees.

        73

        Gary, K2GW
      • kx1x@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 30, 2005
          Greetings from K2BSA/4, Ham Radio station at the National Jamboree!

          Nate, W2NAF, is operating (SLOWWWW...) CW every night after 10:PM on 7.030,
          until about midnight, or slightly thereafter. He notes that you'll have to
          endure 10 w.p.m., but promises to be there every night through Monday night.

          Bob, K3RC, is your man pounding the brass each day on the VA NTS nets. We also
          have a packet BBS e-mail address k2bsa-1 (on w4za-3). (sorry if that address
          isn't enough... I'm not packet literate). {{ hurry... time is running out to
          get traffic in on time, the boys leave on Wednesday. }}

          Nice to talk to some of you on 20m SSB.
          Please understand that we are trying to do QUALITY QSOs when the scouts are in
          the demo tent (during the day from 9 to 5). Please QRX while QSOs with scouts
          are in progress... and be patient. The best time for a quicky 5x9 type contact
          is just after 2100z after the scouts have left to return to their subcamps for
          dinner.
          Its great to be the "DX" on the other side of the pile-up for a change!!!

          QSL cards are available via the address at QRZ.com, or

          K2BSA/4
          Attn: Ray Moyer, S219
          Boy Scouts of America
          1325 West Walnut Hill Lane
          Irving, TX 75015-2079

          PLEASE SEND AN SASE.

          '73 de Kx1x,
          John J. Pise, Jr.
          K2BSA/4 Staffer (2001 & 2005)
        • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
            Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule(s) to give us all, some insight, John.

            I'll bet your having the time of your life!

            YIS

            Jon Pearl - W4ABC
            Greetings from  K2BSA/4, Ham Radio station at the National Jamboree!