K2BSA/4 on CW?

  • ke5cxx
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
      Have heard the SSB op's at Jamboree 59 on their 20m, but have yet to
      hear CW on either 20m or 40m - anyone else had any luck there?
    • Allan R. Batteiger
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
        ke5cxx wrote:

        >Have heard the SSB op's at Jamboree 59 on their 20m, but have yet to
        >hear CW on either 20m or 40m - anyone else had any luck there?

        I have talked to them on 20M yesterday. But I have not heard them at all
        today. I have check 40 thru 10 and all bands seem to be pretty dead.

        Allan - WB5QNG
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ke5cxx" <jimb@h...> wrote:
          > Have heard the SSB op's at Jamboree 59 on their 20m, but have yet
          > hear CW on either 20m or 40m - anyone else had any luck there?

          I haven't spoken to them personally this time yet but I have
          forwarded 17 NTS messages from parents to them through other
          stations. One of them indicates that they've been pretty good at
          checking into all of the VA and 4th area traffic nets on both phone
          and CW.

          I know that doesn't help folks who just want to chat or get a QSL
          card but they are active in both modes.

          As an aside, remember the priorites for K2BSA at the Jambo. Number
          one is to get Scouts on the air. Most them visiting a ham station
          for the first time aren't very proficient at CW but usually already
          know how to use their mouth ;-)

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Allan R. Batteiger
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
            FYI
            QBSA the radio station of the Jamboree is streaming over the
            internet. Go to www.bsajamboree.org and clock on the QBSA announcement.

            Allan
          • Allan R. Batteiger
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
              FYI
              QBSA the radio station of the Jamboree is streaming on teh internet.
              Go to www.bsajamboree.org and clock on the QBSA announcement!

              Allan - WB5QNG
            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 27, 2005
                At 20:07 +0000 27/07/2005, Gary Wilson wrote:
                > Most them visiting a ham station
                >for the first time aren't very proficient at CW but usually already
                >know how to use their mouth ;-)

                By this criteria, I have a whole bunch here at Scout Camp who perhaps should have gone to the Jamboree instead! :-D O:-) :-! ;-)

                --
                73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
                http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Allan R. Batteiger" <arb@r...>
                  wrote:
                  > FYI
                  > QBSA the radio station of the Jamboree is streaming over the
                  > internet. Go to www.bsajamboree.org and click on the QBSA
                  announcement.

                  QBSA, "The Eagle", 91.5 FM is really cool to listen to and gives a
                  good flavor of what's really going on at the Jambore, which is
                  basically a lot of fun! I espescially like "Maloney in the Morning"
                  from 5:30 AM to 9:00 AM which has a mix of adult and youth staff.
                  Listen for the antics of Corporal Clump on Sports and actualities
                  by "Special K" and Lars Rivsak(Outstanding in the Field).
                  Meteorologist Jim Johnson and a newscaster round out the team. They
                  also have the "Easiest Radio Contest Ever" based on BSA trivia, the
                  hourly "Singalong Campfire Song", and the daily Chaplain's minute.

                  9 AM to 5 PM has Scouts working on the broadcast option for Radio
                  merit badge doing half hour shifts as DJ's and sportscasters. The
                  younger they are, the better they are because they must actually
                  practice the copy while the music is playing. The older guys just
                  try to be cool and spend too much time listening to the music!

                  Staff take over again from 5 PM until 11 PM. Listen for "Taps" at
                  lights out at 10:15 PM followed by quiet music to fall asleep by.

                  BTW, "Q" is assigned to no county as a prefix, so the FCC and the
                  Army use it for temporary broadcast stations for similar military or
                  refugee encampments

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                    Great synopsis, Gary.

                    I've been listening when in front of the computer.  Yeah - it sounds like they're all having a great time.  Of course, if we were their age, we wouldn't have anything to worry about - except having a good time, either!

                    I'd go back in a heartbeat!

                    YIS

                    Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                      > BTW, "Q" is assigned to no county as a prefix, so the FCC and the
                      > Army use it for temporary broadcast stations for similar military or
                      > refugee encampments
                      >
                      > 73
                      >
                      > Gary, K2GW

                      Does anyone know what type of liscense is required to run a station
                      using "Q" call-letters?

                      Thanks,
                      Eric
                    • Gary Wilson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 29, 2005
                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "iamemg" <iamemg@h...> wrote:
                        > > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Allan R. Batteiger"
                        <arb@r...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > Does anyone know what type of liscense is required to run a station
                        > using "Q" call-letters?

                        Actually, if you're an unlicensed low-power radio station (remember
                        QBSA on 91.5 MHz really only needs to reach about 2 miles in any
                        direction), I don't believe you need any call letters at all. But
                        I'll defer to folks who've actually worked with such stations. My
                        broadcast experience is limited to WLVR at Lehigh University.
                        College stations are different.

                        As an additional aside, since it's on Fort AP Hill, I wouldn't be
                        suprised if the transmitter is actually a US Army Civil Affairs
                        transmitter, similar to what they might set up in country that's
                        under US occupation. And of course the US Army, being under DOD, is
                        NOT regulated by the FCC. The FCC only regulates civilian
                        transmitters.

                        Aside from the recruting bonanza of exposing 40,000 teenage
                        patriotic boys to the military, the Army loves the Jamboree as a
                        rare test of their ability to support an encamped corps or a refugee
                        camp. Civil Affairs, Public Affirs, MP's, Engineers, Medical and
                        Transportation units all get to refine their skills with 40,000
                        Scouts acting the part of the troops or refugees.

                        73

                        Gary, K2GW
                      • kx1x@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 30, 2005
                          Greetings from K2BSA/4, Ham Radio station at the National Jamboree!

                          Nate, W2NAF, is operating (SLOWWWW...) CW every night after 10:PM on 7.030,
                          until about midnight, or slightly thereafter. He notes that you'll have to
                          endure 10 w.p.m., but promises to be there every night through Monday night.

                          Bob, K3RC, is your man pounding the brass each day on the VA NTS nets. We also
                          have a packet BBS e-mail address k2bsa-1 (on w4za-3). (sorry if that address
                          isn't enough... I'm not packet literate). {{ hurry... time is running out to
                          get traffic in on time, the boys leave on Wednesday. }}

                          Nice to talk to some of you on 20m SSB.
                          Please understand that we are trying to do QUALITY QSOs when the scouts are in
                          the demo tent (during the day from 9 to 5). Please QRX while QSOs with scouts
                          are in progress... and be patient. The best time for a quicky 5x9 type contact
                          is just after 2100z after the scouts have left to return to their subcamps for
                          dinner.
                          Its great to be the "DX" on the other side of the pile-up for a change!!!

                          QSL cards are available via the address at QRZ.com, or

                          K2BSA/4
                          Attn: Ray Moyer, S219
                          Boy Scouts of America
                          1325 West Walnut Hill Lane
                          Irving, TX 75015-2079

                          PLEASE SEND AN SASE.

                          '73 de Kx1x,
                          John J. Pise, Jr.
                          K2BSA/4 Staffer (2001 & 2005)
                        • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 31, 2005
                            Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule(s) to give us all, some insight, John.

                            I'll bet your having the time of your life!

                            YIS

                            Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                            Greetings from  K2BSA/4, Ham Radio station at the National Jamboree!