Re: [scoutradio] JOTA

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 3, 2000
      On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, E McGlen wrote:

      > Bob
      > I am sure you will tell me I should know the answer but... please explain
      > 1) what APRS is ?
      > 2) how it works ?
      > 3) is it expensive to purchase / set up ?
      > Thanks
      > Eric G6INK

      Wow, think of it as digital Amateur radio. But not like one-on-one
      packet, but just everyone on frequency can talk and track on their map the
      position and movements of everyone else. Like a big military tactical map
      display you see in James Bond all the time. Easy way to see the map
      display is to go to www.aprs.net and you will see everyone in the world
      live. All it is is software on your PC connected to yoru packet station.

      It starts on a map of Florida, but then just go to the bottom and click on
      the map of your choice. Everyone you see on that map (unless the site is
      down) is showing there live. APRS is mostly a USA phenomenon but there is
      a growing fledgling group in the UK.

      You will also see some individual sites in Germany, Netherlands, Finland,
      Japan, Tiawan, and south america. But you can zoom in all the way down to
      the one mile scale and actually see where someone is standing. Not with
      your browser, but if you were running WinAPRS or any of the other
      versions (instead of a browser) then not only would you have great maps,
      but you could also keyboard with anyone anywhere jujst by typing his
      callsign. Even if he is mobile.

      Mobile APRS stations need nothgin more than the new Kenood THD7 HT or D700
      mobile radio. THey accept an external GPS input to konw where y ou are
      and transmit that in every transmission. The displays also then show
      where everyone else is too. You can send and receive text messages also.
      NOT just to your local VHF range, but anywhere on the planet, since
      everywhere APRS is linnked into the Interenet too....

      SO much to say, so little time....

      Also go to my site and see what is going on on HF aprs or any 0f many
      other APRS past events...

      http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html

      It costs nothing to download the software from

      ftp://tapr.org/aprssig/dosstuff/APRSdos/aprs846.zip

      YOu will also want to get the maps for your area. In the UK, they are
      UKmapsxx.zip etc...

      Or look around and download the WinAPRS version...

      de WB4APR, Bob
    • Elden
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 8, 2012
        The Kennehoochee Amateur Radio Club supports the Merit Badge University at Kennesaw State University. They have approximately 100 merit badge classes and have around 1000 participants. The Club sets up a station in the Common Green at the college for scouts to participate on JOTA.

        This will be my eighth year teaching the Radio Merit Badge Class.

        ELDEN MORRIS, N1MN
        Radio Merit Badge Counselor
        Covered Bridge & Foot Hills Districts
        Atlanta Area Council