Re: [ScoutRadio] JAmbo News??

  • Allan R. Batteiger
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25, 2005
      Here is the local news paper article
      http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784061606

      Allaan WB5QNG
      Ray Brown wrote:

> [...]
    • kimbare
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
        Re: [ScoutRadio] JAmbo News??  For those that may not get it, here's the whole Fox News article...
        I'm trying to see if any of the four were hams.

        Four Scout Leaders Killed in Accident at Jamboree

        Monday, July 25, 2005

        BOWLING GREEN, Va. - Four adult Boy Scout leaders were killed Monday afternoon in an electrical accident during the opening day of
        the organization's 2005 Jamboree, the Boy Scouts of America said.

        Jamboree spokesman Gregg Shields said an electrical accident occurred between 4:30 and 5 p.m. Monday while the leaders were setting
        up camp.

        Shields said no youth Scouts were seriously injured. He did not say how many sustained minor injuries.

        "We're looking into it right now," Shields said. "We have an investigation under way."

        One other leader and a contract worker also were injured but remain in stable condition at a local hospital, Shields said.

        The killed and injured Scout leaders were from Anchorage, Alaska, said Bill Haines, Scout Executive and chief executive officer of
        the Western Alaska Council, which oversees about 10,600 Boy Scouts and is the largest of three councils in Alaska.

        Haines said the longtime Scouts were leaders with Troop 711, which together with Troop 712 brought 80 Scouts, ages 13 to 15, and
        eight leaders to the Jamboree.

        All the kids with the Alaska group are fine, Haines said.

        More than 40,000 Boy Scouts, leaders and volunteers from around the world are attending the 2005 National Scout Jamboree, being
        held
        [at] the Army's Fort A.P. Hill.

        The Jamboree opened Monday on the 76,000-acre Army training base about an hour south of the nation's capital. It runs through Aug.
        3, with President Bush scheduled to speak Wednesday evening.

        Organizers said this year's event is the largest single-site Jamboree since 1964. Scouts ages 12 to 18 are to spend 10 days camping
        in tents and doing activities that include archery, fishing and geocaching, a GPS-based scavenger hunt. Scouts are attending from
        all over the United States and 20 other countries.

        "I want to reassure the parents of the young men attending the Jamboree that a remarkable amount of effort and resources have been
        brought to bear by the Boy Scouts and their hosts, the Department of Defense, in the planning and safety considerations involved in
        creating, in effect, a city of 43,000 inhabitants for a 10-day period," Gov. Mark R. Warner said in a statement Monday night.

        The Boy Scouts have held the event since 1937 with the next gathering set for 2010, the Scouts' 100th anniversary.

      • Bill Stewart
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
          And a Washington Post article....

          http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/25/AR2005072501758.html

          73,

          Bill Stewart, W2BSA, National Captial Area Council, Colonial District

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
            This purely speculative, but based on the one photo I saw on the
            internet, the four leader deaths appear to be caused when a long
            (about twenty foot) metal tent pole came into contact with an
            overhead power line. Based on the time (4 PM on set up day), the
            fact that the power lines in subcamp 7 run along the road, and what
            looks to be an extremely large tarp near the pole, I suspect it was
            part of their gateway that they were erecting.

            We should all remember to look up before erecting anything, whether
            a tent, antenna , etc.

            On a personal note, I've long felt that Jamboree Gateway's have
            gotten out of hand. They now have become adult driven instead of
            the simple banners from wooden pioneering projects of my youth.

            My other pet peeve is obssesive Jambo patch trading to an extreme
            instead of the simple exchange of gift between new friends. But
            councils now issue dozens of council shoulder patches to raise
            money. What's really ironic is that the CSP's were introduced to
            REDUCE the number of community strips that BSA had to carry in their
            inventory. Some kids spend their entire Jamboree experience sitting
            by the sides of the road trying to make the best deal.

            So please remember the leaders, their families and the scouts of
            that troop in your prayers. Now, back to Radio Scouting and keep
            those NTS messages flowing to the Hill!

            73

            Gary Wilson, K2GW
            (Participant at the 1964 Valley Forge Jamboree)
          • Malcolm - G4CXT

              Monday, July 25, 2005

            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
                Gary, thanks for a very astute observation. Far too often, adults take the lead in what should be a youth function. It's certainly not restricted to Scouting (e.g., Pinewood Derby cars come to mind) and Jamboree gateways; Little League baseball and Pee Wee Football also see too much adult involvement in a youth activity. How are Scouts and other youth going to learn if their parents or adult leaders take away from kids the opportunity to make their own mistakes? At least in Scouting, we have adult leader training in which the principles of the program are supposed to be instructed.

                Concerning patch trading, this has long been an obsession for many and I doubt there is a cure for it. I can remember the 1957 Jamboree at Valley Forge where some of the patch "traders" were almost fulltime professional buyers and sellers of patches, neckerchieves, T-shirts, and other Scouting memorabilia. This trait to collect souvenirs is part of a larger human imperative to collect inanimate objects; Hannibal's soldiers probably traded and collected swords, helmets, and insignia from the Roman legions.

                --
                73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
                http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html