JAmbo News??

  • Brian Cieslak
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25, 2005
      I just heard a breif blurb on the evening news about
      some electrical accident at the Jambo grounds, but no
      details. Anybody hear anything?

      Brian K9WIS

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Ray Brown
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2005
        From: "Brian Cieslak" <k9wis@...>

        > I just heard a breif blurb on the evening news about
        > some electrical accident at the Jambo grounds, but no
        > details. Anybody hear anything?
        >
        > Brian K9WIS

        Check your past messages. Four adult leaders from Western Alaska were apparently
        electrocuted in a freak accident. Several others, including apparently some youth,
        were injured.

        Fox and Yahoo News has more details. Here's Yahoo News' take on it...

        Four Boy Scout Leaders Die in Va. Accident By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM, Associated Press Writer

        BOWLING GREEN, Va. - Four adult Boy Scout leaders from Alaska were killed Monday afternoon in an electrical accident during the
        opening day of the organization's 2005 Jamboree.

        The accident happened between 4:30 and 5 p.m. while the leaders were setting up camp, officials said.

        One other leader from Alaska and a contract worker were hospitalized in stable condition following the electrical accident. All the
        youths with the Alaska group were fine, said Bill Haines, chief executive officer of the Western Alaska Council.

        Those killed were longtime leaders with Anchorage's Troop 711, which along with another troop had brought 80 Scouts between the ages
        13-15 to the event, Haines said. Three other Scout leaders had come with the group.

        The Scouts were relocated to another area, and chaplains and grief counselors were made available. "The Jamboree will go on," said
        Jamboree spokeswoman Renee Fairrer.

        The deaths came a day after a Boy Scout volunteer from North Carolina was taken to a hospital where he died of an apparent heart
        attack, Fairrer said.

        In 1997, a 16-year-old Boy Scout from Pennsylvania was killed at the Jamboree when an Army Humvee he was not supposed to be driving
        flipped over. Three passengers were hurt.

        Virginia Gov. Mark R. Warner issued a statement Monday night seeking to reassure parents of those attending this year's event.

        "A remarkable amount of effort and resources have been brought to bear by the Boy Scouts and their hosts, the Department of Defense,
        in the planning and safety considerations involved in creating, in effect, a city of 43,000 inhabitants for a 10-day period," Warner
        said.

        Tens of thousands of Boy Scouts, leaders and volunteers from around the world are attending the 2005 National Scout Jamboree. The
        event opened Monday at the Army's Fort A.P. Hill, a 76,000-acre Army training base about an hour south of the nation's capital.

        The Jamboree runs through Aug. 3 with President Bush scheduled to speak Wednesday evening. Scouts ages 12-18 are to spend 10 days
        camping in tents and doing activities that include archery, fishing and a GPS-based scavenger hunt.

        The Boy Scouts of America have held the event since 1937 with the next gathering set for 2010, the Scouts' 100th anniversary. It may
        not be held at Fort A.P. Hill, which has hosted the event since 1981.

        A federal judge recently ruled that the Pentagon can no longer financially support the event. If the ruling stands, the Boy Scouts
        would have to find another location for their next gathering.
        ___

        On the Net:

        http://www.scouting.org/jamboree

        http://www.aphill.army.mil
      • Allan R. Batteiger
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2005
          Here is the local news paper article
          http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031784061606

          Allaan WB5QNG
          Ray Brown wrote:

> [...]
        • kimbare
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
            Re: [ScoutRadio] JAmbo News??  For those that may not get it, here's the whole Fox News article...
            I'm trying to see if any of the four were hams.

            Four Scout Leaders Killed in Accident at Jamboree

            Monday, July 25, 2005

            BOWLING GREEN, Va. - Four adult Boy Scout leaders were killed Monday afternoon in an electrical accident during the opening day of
            the organization's 2005 Jamboree, the Boy Scouts of America said.

            Jamboree spokesman Gregg Shields said an electrical accident occurred between 4:30 and 5 p.m. Monday while the leaders were setting
            up camp.

            Shields said no youth Scouts were seriously injured. He did not say how many sustained minor injuries.

            "We're looking into it right now," Shields said. "We have an investigation under way."

            One other leader and a contract worker also were injured but remain in stable condition at a local hospital, Shields said.

            The killed and injured Scout leaders were from Anchorage, Alaska, said Bill Haines, Scout Executive and chief executive officer of
            the Western Alaska Council, which oversees about 10,600 Boy Scouts and is the largest of three councils in Alaska.

            Haines said the longtime Scouts were leaders with Troop 711, which together with Troop 712 brought 80 Scouts, ages 13 to 15, and
            eight leaders to the Jamboree.

            All the kids with the Alaska group are fine, Haines said.

            More than 40,000 Boy Scouts, leaders and volunteers from around the world are attending the 2005 National Scout Jamboree, being
            held
            [at] the Army's Fort A.P. Hill.

            The Jamboree opened Monday on the 76,000-acre Army training base about an hour south of the nation's capital. It runs through Aug.
            3, with President Bush scheduled to speak Wednesday evening.

            Organizers said this year's event is the largest single-site Jamboree since 1964. Scouts ages 12 to 18 are to spend 10 days camping
            in tents and doing activities that include archery, fishing and geocaching, a GPS-based scavenger hunt. Scouts are attending from
            all over the United States and 20 other countries.

            "I want to reassure the parents of the young men attending the Jamboree that a remarkable amount of effort and resources have been
            brought to bear by the Boy Scouts and their hosts, the Department of Defense, in the planning and safety considerations involved in
            creating, in effect, a city of 43,000 inhabitants for a 10-day period," Gov. Mark R. Warner said in a statement Monday night.

            The Boy Scouts have held the event since 1937 with the next gathering set for 2010, the Scouts' 100th anniversary.

          • Bill Stewart
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
              And a Washington Post article....

              http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/25/AR2005072501758.html

              73,

              Bill Stewart, W2BSA, National Captial Area Council, Colonial District

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
                This purely speculative, but based on the one photo I saw on the
                internet, the four leader deaths appear to be caused when a long
                (about twenty foot) metal tent pole came into contact with an
                overhead power line. Based on the time (4 PM on set up day), the
                fact that the power lines in subcamp 7 run along the road, and what
                looks to be an extremely large tarp near the pole, I suspect it was
                part of their gateway that they were erecting.

                We should all remember to look up before erecting anything, whether
                a tent, antenna , etc.

                On a personal note, I've long felt that Jamboree Gateway's have
                gotten out of hand. They now have become adult driven instead of
                the simple banners from wooden pioneering projects of my youth.

                My other pet peeve is obssesive Jambo patch trading to an extreme
                instead of the simple exchange of gift between new friends. But
                councils now issue dozens of council shoulder patches to raise
                money. What's really ironic is that the CSP's were introduced to
                REDUCE the number of community strips that BSA had to carry in their
                inventory. Some kids spend their entire Jamboree experience sitting
                by the sides of the road trying to make the best deal.

                So please remember the leaders, their families and the scouts of
                that troop in your prayers. Now, back to Radio Scouting and keep
                those NTS messages flowing to the Hill!

                73

                Gary Wilson, K2GW
                (Participant at the 1964 Valley Forge Jamboree)
              • Malcolm - G4CXT

                  Monday, July 25, 2005

                • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
                    Gary, thanks for a very astute observation. Far too often, adults take the lead in what should be a youth function. It's certainly not restricted to Scouting (e.g., Pinewood Derby cars come to mind) and Jamboree gateways; Little League baseball and Pee Wee Football also see too much adult involvement in a youth activity. How are Scouts and other youth going to learn if their parents or adult leaders take away from kids the opportunity to make their own mistakes? At least in Scouting, we have adult leader training in which the principles of the program are supposed to be instructed.

                    Concerning patch trading, this has long been an obsession for many and I doubt there is a cure for it. I can remember the 1957 Jamboree at Valley Forge where some of the patch "traders" were almost fulltime professional buyers and sellers of patches, neckerchieves, T-shirts, and other Scouting memorabilia. This trait to collect souvenirs is part of a larger human imperative to collect inanimate objects; Hannibal's soldiers probably traded and collected swords, helmets, and insignia from the Roman legions.

                    --
                    73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
                    http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html