Fw: [Boy-Scout-Talk] Re: Keep the jamboree participants in your prayers

  • Ray Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 25, 2005
      For those that may not get it, here's the whole Fox News article...
      I'm trying to see if any of the four were hams.

      _Ray_ KBØSTN

      Four Scout Leaders Killed in Accident at Jamboree

      Monday, July 25, 2005

      BOWLING GREEN, Va. - Four adult Boy Scout leaders were killed Monday afternoon in an electrical accident during the opening day of
      the organization's 2005 Jamboree, the Boy Scouts of America said.

      Jamboree spokesman Gregg Shields said an electrical accident occurred between 4:30 and 5 p.m. Monday while the leaders were setting
      up camp.

      Shields said no youth Scouts were seriously injured. He did not say how many sustained minor injuries.

      "We're looking into it right now," Shields said. "We have an investigation under way."

      One other leader and a contract worker also were injured but remain in stable condition at a local hospital, Shields said.

      The killed and injured Scout leaders were from Anchorage, Alaska, said Bill Haines, Scout Executive and chief executive officer of
      the Western Alaska Council, which oversees about 10,600 Boy Scouts and is the largest of three councils in Alaska.

      Haines said the longtime Scouts were leaders with Troop 711, which together with Troop 712 brought 80 Scouts, ages 13 to 15, and
      eight leaders to the Jamboree.

      All the kids with the Alaska group are fine, Haines said.

      More than 40,000 Boy Scouts, leaders and volunteers from around the world are attending the 2005 National Scout Jamboree, being
      held
      [at] the Army's Fort A.P. Hill.

      The Jamboree opened Monday on the 76,000-acre Army training base about an hour south of the nation's capital. It runs through Aug.
      3, with President Bush scheduled to speak Wednesday evening.

      Organizers said this year's event is the largest single-site Jamboree since 1964. Scouts ages 12 to 18 are to spend 10 days camping
      in tents and doing activities that include archery, fishing and geocaching, a GPS-based scavenger hunt. Scouts are attending from
      all over the United States and 20 other countries.

      "I want to reassure the parents of the young men attending the Jamboree that a remarkable amount of effort and resources have been
      brought to bear by the Boy Scouts and their hosts, the Department of Defense, in the planning and safety considerations involved in
      creating, in effect, a city of 43,000 inhabitants for a 10-day period," Gov. Mark R. Warner said in a statement Monday night.

      The Boy Scouts have held the event since 1937 with the next gathering set for 2010, the Scouts' 100th anniversary.