More Jambo traffic questions

  • Brian Cieslak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2005
      Will K2BSa be checking into traffic nets during the
      Jamboree? Or do they have a liason that will pick up
      traffic for them and deliver it?

      Will K2BSA accept formal traffic on the Scout
      Frequencies during normal operaing times.

      How much traffic does K2BSA generate from scouts
      sending messages home to family and friends? Is it
      encouraged?

      The information you guys are providing is coming
      together for a nice article for our net's newsletter.

      Thanks
      Brian K9WIS

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • wb3lgc@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2005
        In a message dated 7/15/2005 10:23:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, k9wis@... writes:
        Will K2BSa be checking into traffic nets during the
        Jamboree? Or do they have a liason that will pick up
        traffic for them and deliver it? (I have seen something about i/o of traffic via packet to the VA system.  also message traffic on the 7pm VHF net to sub-camps)

        Will K2BSA accept formal traffic on the Scout
        Frequencies during normal operaing times. (not sure, don't see why not other then not expecting it)

        How much traffic does K2BSA generate from scouts
        sending messages home to family and friends? Is it
        encouraged? (lots, yes.  stop by the message desk at K2BSA/4.)

        The information you guys are providing is coming
        together for a nice article for our net's newsletter.

        Thanks
        Brian K9WIS

        (73, steve WB3LGC)
      • Al Katzman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2005
          Since there seems to be some interest in contacting
          folks at the jamboree, here is what has been done in
          previous jamborees. K2BSA operates a 2M traffic net
          early in the evening for anybody at the jamboree who
          is a ham to send messages out on NTS. This is usually
          around 7pm local. Or you can stop by K2BSA and leave a
          radiogram.

          Messages coming into the jamboree destined for
          scouters and scouts come in via the regular NTS system
          which K2BSA connects with during the evening. The
          minimal information needed on the delivery side is the
          full name of the scouter or scout and the jamboree
          troop number. These messages are then put out for
          pickup on the regular net for the jamboree. If there
          are no takers for the messages, the staff will deliver
          the messages as they can. K2BSA also will receive
          packet messages. At the moment I don't know what the
          mode name is we will be running nor the frequency.

          During the day K2BSA will operate on all bands. These
          were published in a previous note for this group.
          However the scouts do have a tendency to want to go up
          and down a band so be prepared. The official callign
          going out will be K2BSA/7 and will mainly operate in
          the General Class bands. We will also be running
          satellite, packet and 2M. There will be a repeater on
          site for the Jamboree use by any ham operator. If you
          are a ham we encourage you to bring your HTs. We do
          operate an emergency net from time to time and are in
          charge of backup EMCOMM.

          QSL cards will be handled by staff. They will be sent
          out after the jamboree is over. These cards have been
          made up already and will be at the K2BSA tent for
          pickup by any ham in attandance or visiting who
          contacts K2BSA via 2M. Also stop by and pick up ham
          sign information that you can put on your tent to show
          you have radio capability during the jamboree. We
          encourage you to visit us at K2BSA or at the Merit
          Badge Midway Radio Merit Badge.

          Al Koch -- KA8JJN/K2BSA Jamboree Staff

          --- wb3lgc@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 7/15/2005 10:23:34 A.M. Eastern
          > Standard Time,
          > k9wis@... writes:
          >
          > Will K2BSa be checking into traffic nets during the
          > Jamboree? Or do they have a liason that will pick
          > up
          > traffic for them and deliver it? (I have seen
          > something about i/o of traffic
          > via packet to the VA system. also message traffic
          > on the 7pm VHF net to
          > sub-camps)
          >
          > Will K2BSA accept formal traffic on the Scout
          > Frequencies during normal operaing times. (not sure,
          > don't see why not other
          > then not expecting it)
          >
          > How much traffic does K2BSA generate from scouts
          > sending messages home to family and friends? Is it
          > encouraged? (lots, yes. stop by the message desk at
          > K2BSA/4.)
          >
          > The information you guys are providing is coming
          > together for a nice article for our net's
          > newsletter.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Brian K9WIS
          >

          > (73, steve WB3LGC)

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Al Katzman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2005
            Sorry, the official callsign will be K2BSA/4.

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs