Radio Belt Loop and Acheivement Pin

  • Brian Cieslak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2005
      I see that the cub scouts have an acheivement program
      that issues blet loops for meeting certain
      requirements (astronomy, geology, heritaget etc). What
      would it take to add a HAM radio belt loop with some
      simple requirements. (take part in a QSO either real
      or imaginary, create a QSL card, give examples of
      different radio modes and activities).

      Just brain storming

      Brian K9WIS

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2005
        At 10:35 -0700 12/07/2005, Brian Cieslak wrote:
        >I see that the cub scouts have an acheivement program
        >that issues blet loops for meeting certain
        >requirements (astronomy, geology, heritaget etc). What
        >would it take to add a HAM radio belt loop with some
        >simple requirements. (take part in a QSO either real
        >or imaginary, create a QSL card, give examples of
        >different radio modes and activities).
        >
        >Just brain storming
        >
        >Brian K9WIS

        Or just a Radio loop, a much-scaled down version of Radio Merit Badge to allow for the other types of radio covered by the merit badge, e.g. broadcasting.

        Sounds like a great idea! However, given the amount of time it takes to institute changes at the National level, some of us might not see it in our lifetimes. Computers Merit Badge was last updated in 1993 when most computers were DOS with 40 mb hard drives and two megs of RAM while Photography Merit Badge was last updated in 1983, long before digital cameras.

        --
        73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html