[Fwd: [NCAREC] New Bill Would Ban Public NOAA Weather Data]

  • w2bsa
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
      Spread this around. Looks like Sen, Rick Santorum has been hoodwinked by the for-pay
      weather companies.
      Do you want to pay for your weather information twice here in the states???

      If you don't write your US Senators in opposition.

      73,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
        That fool Santorum would have the National Weather Service work only the for-profit weather companies. Since when does a branch of the government serve only for commercial interests at the expense of everyone else? Maybe Santorum himself should be privatized and taken out of government service since he clearly isn't working for the interests of the Public.

        As a weather spotter and SKYWARN participant, I also like receiving my wx data directly off NOAA's sites rather than filtered, "packaged", interpreted, commercialized, and delayed by the private interests.

        At 9:04 -0400 25/04/2005, w2bsa wrote:
        >Spread this around. Looks like Sen, Rick Santorum has been hoodwinked by
        >the for-pay
        >weather companies.
        >Do you want to pay for your weather information twice here in the states???
        >
        >If you don't write your US Senators in opposition.
        >

        >73,
        >
        >Bill Stewart, W2BSA
        >
        >o I believe Accuweather.com and Weather.com and other commercial
        >vendors provide a valuable service to the public by repackaging the
        >information they get from the National Weather Service; however, I do
        >not wish to have my ability to get that information directly from NWS
        >taken away. We all pay the taxes that pay for the National Weather
        >Service. Why should we have to pay again to get the same information
        >from a commercial vendor?
        >
        >o On one hand, the bill restricts what the NWS can do. On the other
        >hand, Senator Santorum's office posted it on his website as a
        >"Modernization" to better serve the public. See his press release on
        >his website:
        >
        >http://santorum.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressOffice.View&ContentRecord_id=1180&Region_id=0&Issue_id=13&CFID=12199122&CFTOKEN=38509331
        >

        >-- ///// Here is further information:
        >
        >1) The Bill:
        >
        >PDF DOCUMENT:
        >http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=109_cong_bills&docid=f:s786is.txt.pdf
        >
        >SENATE BILL NUMBER: S. 786
        >
        >TITLE: "To clarify the duties and responsibilities of the National
        >Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the National Weather
        >Service, and for other purposes."
        >
        >SHORT TITLE: "National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005"
        >

        >2) As of April 24, this bill is in Senate committee: Commerce, Science,
        >and Transportation. You can see all members of this committee and the
        >bills that they are working on -- here:
        >http://commerce.senate.gov/
        >
        >3) AccuWeather.com is headquartered in Senator Santorum's home state of
        >Pennsylvania:
        >http://wwwa.accuweather.com/company.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=0&traveler=0&page=about#headquarters
        >
        >4) Thomas is a good website to track bills and has links to the Senate
        >and House to find contact information about your Senators and
        >Representative. Call, write or email them to let them know your
        >opinion.
        >http://thomas.loc.gov/
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2005
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, w2bsa <w2bsa@c...> wrote:
          > Spread this around. Looks like Sen, Rick Santorum has been
          hoodwinked by the for-pay weather companies.
          > Do you want to pay for your weather information twice here in the
          states???

          > If you don't write your US Senators in opposition.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Bill Stewart, W2BSA

          If you think this is a bad idea, write your Senators and
          Representative and tell them you oppose Senate Bill S786.

          You can write your Senator at

          http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

          You can also write your Congressman at

          http://www.house.gov/writerep/

          You might tell them that you don't want to have to pay a private
          firm to get NWS weather data and that you're afraid that lives will
          be lost. Make sure they know your street address so they can tell
          you're a constituent.

          I'm sure other radio and emergency mangement e-mail groups might
          want to know about this as well.

          73

          Gary, K2GW