Recruiting Youth

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2005
      > We often talk about Radio Scouting and lament how few young people
      > get their licenses. We should all commit to demonstrating Ham Radio
      > to scouts so they at least know what it is. Consider how much
      > exposure youth get to computers before they ever get on the keyboard
      > or use a mouse.

      I would also ask each member of this group to lead a Radio Merit Badge Day
      once a year in their council. Why? Because it's the ideal way to get more
      youth hams by first giving the Scouts what THEY want (a merit badge)

      It's incredibly easy to run as all of the materials you need to teach it are
      in the file section of Scoutradio on Yahoo Groups. All you need is a
      meeting room for a Saturday, and a ham who can set up a portable station.

      We ran such a day in January and had sixty Scouts earn radio Merit Badge.
      And as a result, we had the Scouts ask US to run Technician Licensing course
      as a result. Our first class session was held at the council office last
      Thursday night and we had 11 Scouts and fours adult leaders attend!

      Once you get A Radio Merit Badge started it will become a tradition in your
      area. All of the hams who participated in ours had such fun they want to
      make it an annual event!

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • biker51ferg
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2005
        Gary: Can you provide more detail as to your schedule for the day,
        number of stations/licensed operators, How you achieved the operating
        time for the boys, etc....sounds like a good
        idea...thanks...Steve/N4PKJ/ASM Tr 30-Staunton, VA
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2005
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "biker51ferg" <biker51ferg@y...>
          wrote:

          > Gary: Can you provide more detail as to your schedule for the day,
          > number of stations/licensed operators, How you achieved the
          operating
          > time for the boys, etc....sounds like a good
          > idea...thanks...Steve/N4PKJ/ASM Tr 30-Staunton, VA

          Steve:

          Actually the entire days schedule is in the files section here of
          Scoutradio on Yahoo Groups. If you have difficulty finding it, let me
          know.

          73

          Gary, K2GW