Re: "Save The Scouts!" Petition -- Please Read...

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23, 2005
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Pearl - W4ABC"
      <jonpearl@t...> wrote:
      > 3/22/05
      > That is why Grassfire is calling on our lawmakers to draft and
      > pass legislation that protects and preserves the mission of the
      > Scouts from outside attack.

      BSA hasn't asked for this "help" from a political group, who
      eventually asks you for money to help them with other non-scouting
      related political campaigns.

      Let's get back to the published purpose of Scoutradio, namely
      sharing the brotherhood of Scouting through Amateur Radio.

      Thanks & 73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Radio MB Counselor
      CNJ Council
    • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2005
        "BSA hasn't asked for this "help" from a political group, who
        eventually asks you for money to help them with other non-scouting
        related political campaigns."

        I've yet to see the BSA ask for help, other than the monthly check that I gladly write in support of my council.  Whether you like it or not, "politics" and the money that runs politics - runs America and many a 'cause'.  That being said; the petitioner simply asks for your endorsement.  As to whether or not they'll "eventually" ask for money, I don't know.  As it stands now, U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (Eagle Scout) and Bill Frist are taking a pro-active stance by introducing legislation to thwart those whose agenda is to, daily, chip away at the BSA.

        What you were asked to endorse:

        As a concerned citizen, I am deeply troubled by the recent attacks which have come against the Boy Scouts simply because the Scouts have taken a stand for faith and moral values. As a private organization, the Boy Scouts has every right to set standards for leadership and morality. The U.S. Supreme Court made this clear! I urge you to cease these hostile attacks against one of America's great institutions.

        "Let's get back to the published purpose of Scoutradio, namely
        sharing the brotherhood of Scouting through Amateur Radio."

        I'll not disagree with your statement above, Gary, and It's not my objective to pick a fight.  But, no less than those who bang the BPL drum on a daily basis, with or without the ARRL's help, guidance or consent in an attempt to salvage radio spectrum for a slowly dying radio service - there will always be members of society (I'll call them Citizens) who will step into the breech, with or without the BSA's help, guidance or consent, in an attempt to keep Scouting, intact, as we all remember it.

        As you might imagine, Gary, there are members of this group, who, while they participate in Scouting, do so purely from the Amateur Radio perspective.  Without information such as that that I've relayed to this them, they might never know that there's a battle going-on, on the other side.

        Fraternally,

        Jon Pearl - W4ABC

      • kr1zan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2005
          Check out the National BSA web site at http://www.scouting.org/

          You'll notice in the "News" section a reference to "Supporting Our
          Scouts Act". The BSA did not give specific direction, but, the
          implication is to write your congressman.

          Jon, I'm glad you brought this to our attention.

          BTW, a "thread" in the last couple of months of QST, entitled "GOTA"
          suggested getting on the air every day and making at least one
          contact. Several good reasons given -- such as occupy the spectrum.

          I'd like to suggest GASOTAOAM "Get A Scout On The Air Once A Month".
          We often talk about Radio Scouting and lament how few young people
          get their licenses. We should all commit to demonstrating Ham Radio
          to scouts so they at least know what it is. Consider how much
          exposure youth get to computers before they ever get on the keyboard
          or use a mouse.

          Many years ago I was taught that if you make a hundred cold calls on
          non-qualified customers you get no more than 17 who are interested
          and close on only 1.7. If we qualify our customers, those that
          have a real interest, the closures can be as high as 25% -- and
          that's by allowing the customer "hands on" exposure.

          What are you waiting for? GASOTAOAM ! ... and write your congressman.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX

          <jonpearl@t...> wrote:
          > "BSA hasn't asked for this "help" from a political group, who
          > eventually asks you for money to help them with other non-scouting
          > related political campaigns."
          >

          > I've yet to see the BSA ask for help, other than the monthly check
          that I gladly write in support of my council. Whether you like it or
          not, "politics" and the money that runs politics - runs America and
          many a 'cause'. That being said; the petitioner simply asks for your
          endorsement. As to whether or not they'll "eventually" ask for
          money, I don't know. As it stands now, U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander
          (Eagle Scout) and Bill Frist are taking a pro-active stance by
          introducing legislation to thwart those whose agenda is to, daily,
          chip away at the BSA.

          <<< rest of message snipped out >>>