"Save The Scouts!" Petition -- Please Read...

  • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2005
      3/22/05

      The ACLU is out to destroy the Boy Scouts of America with
      wave after wave of lawsuits designed to bankrupt the organization.

      Given the state of today's culture with the lack of father's in
      many homes, growing drug use and violence among our teenage
      boys, and numerous other pitfalls, the Boy Scouts may be more
      important than ever to the health of our society.

      But unless grassroots America stands up on behalf of this proud
      organization that has instilled honesty, integrity and character in
      more than 110 million boys over the years, we may soon lose
      their outstanding influence.

      That is why Grassfire is calling on our lawmakers to draft and
      pass legislation that protects and preserves the mission of the
      Scouts from outside attack.

      However, to motivate our leaders to take action, we need to
      mobilize hundreds of thousands of citizens who stand in support
      of the Scouts.

      + + 500,000 Petitions Needed in 30 days!

      Already, Grassfire has rallied 403,472 citizens on our
      way to 500,000. Over the next 30 days, we want to reach our
      goal and present your petitions directly to lawmakers who are
      working to protect the Scouts.

      Will you join this growing movement by clicking here:

      http://www.grassfire.org/2/petition.asp?RID=7474308

      + + Key legislation about to be announced!

      The "Support Our Scouts Act of 2005" is due to be announced
      any day, and would ensure that the Boy Scouts are treated fairly
      by guaranteeing their right to equal access to public facilities,
      forums and programs. It would also protect them from senseless
      attacks by groups like the ACLU.

      When this bill is introduced, Grassfire wants to be there with
      your petition as a massive show of support!

      But to be included you must click on the link below:

      http://www.grassfire.org/2/petition.asp?RID=7474308

      After signing our national "Save the Scouts" petition, please pass
      it on to at least 20-30 of your friends and family--urging them to
      stand up for the Boy Scouts in this way.

      Thanks for taking action with us.

      Grassfire.org Alliance

      P.S. This is a 100 percent grassroots initiative that depends on
      your support. After signing your name, it is crucial that you pass
      this important message on to as many friends and family as you
      can in the coming days. Remember, when this legislation is
      introduced, Grassfire wants to be there with your petition and
      those of your friends and family!

      Strike a blow for the Scouts by forwarding this message today!

      + + Sign our "Save the Scouts" petition:

      http://www.grassfire.org/2/petition.asp?RID=7474308

      + + For more on this and other key issues Grassfire is battling:

      http://www.grassfire.org

      + + Show your support with our patriotic magnets:

      http://www.grassfire.org/9026/offer.asp?rid=7474308

      + + Comments? Questions?

      http://www.grassfire.org/email.asp?ind=10

      + + + + +
      Grassfire.org Alliance is a non-profit 501(c)4 issues advocacy
      organization
      dedicated to equipping our 1.5 million-strong network of grassroots
      conservatives with the tools that give you a real impact on the key
      issues of our day. Gifts to Grassfire.org are not tax deductible.
    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 23, 2005
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Pearl - W4ABC"
        <jonpearl@t...> wrote:
        > 3/22/05
        > That is why Grassfire is calling on our lawmakers to draft and
        > pass legislation that protects and preserves the mission of the
        > Scouts from outside attack.

        BSA hasn't asked for this "help" from a political group, who
        eventually asks you for money to help them with other non-scouting
        related political campaigns.

        Let's get back to the published purpose of Scoutradio, namely
        sharing the brotherhood of Scouting through Amateur Radio.

        Thanks & 73

        Gary Wilson, K2GW
        Radio MB Counselor
        CNJ Council
      • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 23, 2005
          "BSA hasn't asked for this "help" from a political group, who
          eventually asks you for money to help them with other non-scouting
          related political campaigns."

          I've yet to see the BSA ask for help, other than the monthly check that I gladly write in support of my council.  Whether you like it or not, "politics" and the money that runs politics - runs America and many a 'cause'.  That being said; the petitioner simply asks for your endorsement.  As to whether or not they'll "eventually" ask for money, I don't know.  As it stands now, U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander (Eagle Scout) and Bill Frist are taking a pro-active stance by introducing legislation to thwart those whose agenda is to, daily, chip away at the BSA.

          What you were asked to endorse:

          As a concerned citizen, I am deeply troubled by the recent attacks which have come against the Boy Scouts simply because the Scouts have taken a stand for faith and moral values. As a private organization, the Boy Scouts has every right to set standards for leadership and morality. The U.S. Supreme Court made this clear! I urge you to cease these hostile attacks against one of America's great institutions.

          "Let's get back to the published purpose of Scoutradio, namely
          sharing the brotherhood of Scouting through Amateur Radio."

          I'll not disagree with your statement above, Gary, and It's not my objective to pick a fight.  But, no less than those who bang the BPL drum on a daily basis, with or without the ARRL's help, guidance or consent in an attempt to salvage radio spectrum for a slowly dying radio service - there will always be members of society (I'll call them Citizens) who will step into the breech, with or without the BSA's help, guidance or consent, in an attempt to keep Scouting, intact, as we all remember it.

          As you might imagine, Gary, there are members of this group, who, while they participate in Scouting, do so purely from the Amateur Radio perspective.  Without information such as that that I've relayed to this them, they might never know that there's a battle going-on, on the other side.

          Fraternally,

          Jon Pearl - W4ABC

        • kr1zan
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 26, 2005
            Check out the National BSA web site at http://www.scouting.org/

            You'll notice in the "News" section a reference to "Supporting Our
            Scouts Act". The BSA did not give specific direction, but, the
            implication is to write your congressman.

            Jon, I'm glad you brought this to our attention.

            BTW, a "thread" in the last couple of months of QST, entitled "GOTA"
            suggested getting on the air every day and making at least one
            contact. Several good reasons given -- such as occupy the spectrum.

            I'd like to suggest GASOTAOAM "Get A Scout On The Air Once A Month".
            We often talk about Radio Scouting and lament how few young people
            get their licenses. We should all commit to demonstrating Ham Radio
            to scouts so they at least know what it is. Consider how much
            exposure youth get to computers before they ever get on the keyboard
            or use a mouse.

            Many years ago I was taught that if you make a hundred cold calls on
            non-qualified customers you get no more than 17 who are interested
            and close on only 1.7. If we qualify our customers, those that
            have a real interest, the closures can be as high as 25% -- and
            that's by allowing the customer "hands on" exposure.

            What are you waiting for? GASOTAOAM ! ... and write your congressman.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            <jonpearl@t...> wrote:
            > "BSA hasn't asked for this "help" from a political group, who
            > eventually asks you for money to help them with other non-scouting
            > related political campaigns."
            >

            > I've yet to see the BSA ask for help, other than the monthly check
            that I gladly write in support of my council. Whether you like it or
            not, "politics" and the money that runs politics - runs America and
            many a 'cause'. That being said; the petitioner simply asks for your
            endorsement. As to whether or not they'll "eventually" ask for
            money, I don't know. As it stands now, U.S. Senators Lamar Alexander
            (Eagle Scout) and Bill Frist are taking a pro-active stance by
            introducing legislation to thwart those whose agenda is to, daily,
            chip away at the BSA.

            <<< rest of message snipped out >>>