Re: [Scoutradio] JOTA and traffic handling

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 10, 2005
      At 15:48 +0000 10/03/2005, ke4nps wrote:
      >Does anyone know if JOTA will be handling traffic? I would like to
      >pass a message to a member of my troop that will be attending the
      >Jamboree while he is up there...

      JOTA, per se is not involved in the National Jamboree, but I'm pretty sure NTS traffic will be handled at Ft. A.P Hill. Give me a some time to do some searching on the Jamboree site unless someone already has the details (frequencies, times, modes, etc) handy.
      --
      73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
      http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 10, 2005
        In a message dated 3/10/2005 12:53:14 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, k2frd@... writes:
        At 15:48 +0000 10/03/2005, ke4nps wrote:
        >Does anyone know if JOTA will be handling traffic?  I would like to
        >pass a message to a member of my troop that will be attending the
        >Jamboree while he is up there...

        JOTA, per se is not involved in the National Jamboree, but I'm pretty sure NTS traffic will be handled at Ft. A.P Hill. Give me a some time to do some searching on the Jamboree site unless someone already has the details (frequencies, times, modes, etc) handy.
        --
        73 de Fred K2FRD, VO2FS
        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/K2FRD.html

        K2BSA/4 will be operating and handling NTS traffic out of and into the Jamboree.  Most traffic will be via packet to the VA system.  I will be part of the demo station but I know from reading my guide book, there will be a large amount of traffic going out.  I would expect you would need name, troop, subcamp #, c/o bsa jamboree, VA.

        I am sure more info will be available as we get closer to the event.

        73, Steve  WB3LGC
      • Al Katzman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2005
          The Boy Scout National Jamboree will be passing messages via ham radio at the K2BSA demonstration tent.  Each night there will be a net for just that purpose run by the staff at K2BSA.

          ke4nps <ke4nps@...> wrote:

          Does anyone know if JOTA will be handling traffic?  I would like to
          pass a message to a member of my troop that will be attending the
          Jamboree while he is up there...

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 14, 2005
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Al Katzman <woodbadge_owl@y...>
            wrote:
            > The Boy Scout National Jamboree will be passing messages via ham
            radio at the K2BSA demonstration tent. Each night there will be a
            net for just that purpose run by the staff at K2BSA.

            > ke4nps <ke4nps@y...> wrote:
            >
            > Does anyone know if JOTA (sic) will be handling traffic? I would
            like to
            > pass a message to a member of my troop that will be attending the
            > Jamboree while he is up there...

            Actually if you go back in the message archives here in Scoutradio
            on groups.yahoo.com , we had an extensive discussion on how NTS
            traffic can be sent to the Jamboree begining about message number
            1300.

            Essentially, the Jamboree regularly checks into VA NTS from the
            K2BSA tent and then runs a nightly VHF net to the subcamps (and any
            other scout hams there)

            Here's what I posted a year ago. The important thing is to have
            the Scouts correct JAMBOREE troop number, not his regular home troop
            number:

            -----

            From: "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@a...>
            Date: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:20 pm
            Subject: Re: K2BSA Traffic @ Jamboree

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Brian Cieslak <k9wis@y...> wrote:

            > This is good information guys..Do the scouts know
            > which sub camp they will be in before they get there?

            I think you missed my message where I stated that the Jamboree
            subcamp is actually the high order digit(s) in the
            special Jamboree troop numbers assigned to each contingent. A scout
            certainly knows his Jamboree Troop number well before he leaves!

            So if a Scout is in Jamboree Troop 612, his subcamp is 6. If he's in
            Jamboree Troop 1563, his subcamp is 15, etc. Each subcamp has less
            than 100 Jamboree Troops.

            > Can you give me an example of a sub camp name?

            They all have a number such as 1, 15 , etc. They sometimes have a
            secondary name that relates to that year's theme, but it's
            superfluous.

            > I imagine that a message to the Jamboree would be
            > addressed to
            >
            > <scouts name> AR
            > <troop number> AR
            > <subcamp> AR
            > Fort AP Hill, Va. BT

            Don't forget zipcode is needed for NTS messages via packet.

            I'd suggest this instead from an actual snail mail I sent to my son:

            > Joe Scout
            > Troop <number> Subcamp <number>
            > BSA Jamboree
            , Bowling Green, VA 22428-

            The critical thing is that the parents know to use the *Jamboree*
            Troop number, not the Scout's normal home troop number, which is
            totally useless at the Jamboree.

            For example, although my son's home troop number was 63, when my son
            attended the 1997 BSA National Jamboree, he was in Jamboree Troop
            411. Not coincidentally, Jamboree Troop 411 was located in site 11
            of subcamp 4. And his full mailing zipcode was 22428-0411, so the
            subcamp and troop number were also in the zip plus four!

            73

            Gary, K2GW