Re: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 560

  • dbcolter
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2005
      Hi Al,
      I thought about that. Third party traffic isn't a problem as long as the
      system is used only by licensed Scouts and adults, and they are aware of and
      obey the third-party rules. Since all communication is on VHF and UHF, a
      Technician Class license is all they'll need in the US. At the camp, an
      information sheet with frequency and tone could be handed out that also has
      a summary of the 3rd party rules and a country/prefix list.
      73,
      Dave

      From: "dbcolter" <dbcolter@...>
      2. Re: Echolink server for Scout camps?
      From: Al Katzman <woodbadge_owl@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 20:58:42 -0500
      From: "dbcolter" <dbcolter@...>
      Subject: Echolink server for Scout camps?

      Hello all,
      I was playing with Echolink tonight, testing my computer to radio
      connection, when I had an idea that's so simple that I can't be the only one
      to have thought of it. It would be neat if Scout camps around the world
      could connect a low power simplex 2m or 75cm base station to a private
      conference server whenever camp is in session. (time differences
      notwithstanding, of course!) Licensed Scouts and leaders could use handhelds
      to talk with other Scouts all over the world on a daily basis while at camp
      and share their activities and experiences. It would be like JOTA all summer
      long! All it would take is someone to set up the server node on their
      machine at home or work as long as it had a very high speed Internet
      connection (my connection won't handle it at 53k). At the camp end it would
      take a licensed ham on the staff to be the local control op/station
      licensee.
      Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else? Has it already been set up
      and I just don't know about it?
      73,
      Dave Colter WA1ZCN
      Camp Propoerties Committee
      Griswold Scout Reservation
      Gilmanton Ironworks, NH

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:13:45 -0800 (PST)
      From: Al Katzman <woodbadge_owl@...>
      Subject: Re: Echolink server for Scout camps?

      You might want to consider third party traffic. The rules and regulations
      still hold true as far as ham radio works. As a general rule we only have
      third party agreements with those to the south of us. We don't have
      agreements with Europe or Asia. Putting the conversation on a computer
      doesn't bypass the rules since you have to have a radio somewhere in the
      process.

      dbcolter <dbcolter@...> wrote:
[...]

      All your favorites on one personal page - Try My Yahoo!

      [This message contained attachments]