Echolink server for Scout camps?

  • dbcolter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2005
      Hello all,
      I was playing with Echolink tonight, testing my computer to radio connection, when I had an idea that's so simple that I can't be the only one to have thought of it. It would be neat if Scout camps around the world could connect a low power simplex 2m or 75cm base station to a private conference server whenever camp is in session. (time differences notwithstanding, of course!) Licensed Scouts and leaders could use handhelds to talk with other Scouts all over the world on a daily basis while at camp and share their activities and experiences. It would be like JOTA all summer long! All it would take is someone to set up the server node on their machine at home or work as long as it had a very high speed Internet connection (my connection won't handle it at 53k). At the camp end it would take a licensed ham on the staff to be the local control op/station licensee.
      Does this sound like a good idea to anyone else? Has it already been set up and I just don't know about it?
      73,
      Dave Colter WA1ZCN
      Camp Propoerties Committee
      Griswold Scout Reservation