Radio MB Day Plan

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2005
      I've uploaded to the files section of ScoutRadio a copy of the plan
      we used for running our Radio MB class for sixty scouts. Of course,
      the logistics for a class of thirty or less would be easier. Just
      have two lunch periods and have half the scouts use the on-air
      stations while the others eat lunch. The on-air contacts are the
      bottleneck as you can only have seven or so make them per station in
      an an hour period.

      We also made sure the VHF contacts were exciting by arranging to
      have the Battleship New Jersey NJ2BB answer the Scouts on VHF. Not
      everyone has a battleship fifty miles away, but you could do the
      same with a local Emergency Management center or such.

      To get good contacts on HF, just call CQ, but mention you have
      Scouts who need to talk for Radio MB. Most hams are happy to help.

      We were shocked to get that many Scouts interested in Radio MB, but
      the lure of getting a merit badge in one day is the key. So make
      plans in your own council to make it an annual event. Build it and
      they will come.

      73

      Gary, K2GW