Fw: Radio Merit Badge Class Thank You

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2005
      FYI. The PowerPoint Instructor slides and student work books used to
      present this course can be found in the files section of ScoutRadio on Yahoo
      Groups. We had the boys read pages 1 to 55 in the Radio Merit Badge pamphlet
      and draw the electromagnetic spectrum as a pre-requisite to speed things up
      on class day.

      Radio Merit Badge can be taught by having three one hour classes and an on
      the air contact. We divided the boys up into Patrols of fifteen Scouts
      (called Alfa, Bravo, Charlie and Delta of course!) and they rotated between
      the three classrooms, lunch and the on the air stations during five one hour
      periods. With a half hour into for the entire group and a half hour wrap-up
      at the end we were able to start at 9 AM and end at 3. The hams set up at 8
      AM and were gone by 3:30PM.

      73

      Gary, K2GW
      Radio MB Counselor
      Central NJ Council

      Sent: Sunday, January 09, 2005 4:25 AM
      Subject: Radio Merit Badge Class Thank You

      > I just want to thank everyone who helped out with Radio Merit Badge Day at
      > the Sarnoff Library. Your hard work and dedication to kids and Amateur
      > Radio enabled 63 Boy Scouts to earn Radio Merit Badge. The fact that
      about
      > 45 of the Scouts and 10 parents are now interested in having AA2F teach a
      > licensing class to them is a testament to your efforts! Hopefully we can
      > make Radio Merit Badge Day an annual event.
      >
      > Our registrar, Christian Ingerslev AB2SN, processed all of the Boy Scout's
      > Merit Badge application cards in short order! The classroom instructors,
      > Don Wright AA2F, Alex Flinsch AB2RC, Gerry Jurrens N2GJ, Steve Huston
      > W2SRH, Brian Boccardi N2MPM, and John DeGood NU3E got the material across
      > and kept the boys interest while adhering to a tight schedule. The
      > operators of our two stations, Ed Kaftanic KE2MM, Stan Subhan N2FMI, and
      > Dave Willmore N0YMVdid a great job of helping the Scouts make their first
      on
      > the air contacts. Dr. Alex Magoun, curator of the Sarnoff Library, was a
      > wonderful host and provided a meaningful venue to introduce Scouts to
      radio.

      > Also, a hearty "BRAVO ZULU" to Harry Bryant AA2WN, Charlie Dieterich
      N2CTW
      > and all of the unseen hams in Radio Central at NJ2BB on the Battleship New
      > Jersey who made the VHF contacts just as exciting to the Scouts as the
      long
      > distance ones on HF! And let's not forget the hams at the Delaware Valley
      > Radio Association W2ZQ who helped publicize the event back in October with
      > an outstanding Jamboree on the Air (JOTA) station at the Boy Scout
      Camporee