Electronics Merit BAdge

  • Brian Cieslak
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 16, 2004
      It was a slow day at work and I was browsing through
      the merit badge requirements and see that some time in
      2004 the Electronics Merit badge was updated. It looks
      as though the project building including soldering has
      been re-introduced...

      Are there plans in the works to re-introduce the
      project building requirement for Radio again??

      Brian K9WIS

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2004
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Brian Cieslak <k9wis@y...> wrote:
        > Are there plans in the works to re-introduce the
        > project building requirement for Radio again??
        >
        > Brian K9WIS

        I wasn't aware that the project building had been removed from
        Electronics MB. Probably some lawyer worried about soldering
        irons. It was still a requirement back in 1999 when I last taught
        Electronics MB.

        As someone who teaches Radio MB to about forty scouts a year,I don't
        see the need to add building a project to Radio MB, especially since
        it's covered in Electronics. No need to overlap skills between the
        merit badges.

        In addition, Radio MB now takes about 4 hours to complete, which is
        the par for non-Eagle required MB. It's "hands-on" activity is
        talking on the radio, which is much more germaine than kit building
        for radio operators in the 21st century.

        Ham Radio has a great many aspects. We don't require the Scouts to
        participate in all of the activities (DF'ing, contesting, etc.) but
        we certainly do tell them about it. I think the soldering and
        assembly skills are best left in Electronics MB.

        BTW, I also think the open, closed and short circuit theory could be
        removed from Radio MB and left in Electricity MB. This could be
        replaced in Radio with a little bit on NOAA Weather Radio, FRS and
        cellphone usage in an emergency. See the PowerPoint slides in the
        files section of this group.

        73

        Gary Wilson, K2GW

        Radio MB Counselor