Re: [Scoutradio] Camps with Stations

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
      The National Boy Scouts of America has a permanent station for K2BSA at Camp
      Wisdom, Circle Ten Council, Dallas, Texas. The station is maintained by
      Venturing Crew 73 of Richardson, TX.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
        A permanent station is in the works at http://www.campbuffalo.com/. We have
        the funding, and are waiting for a promised modular building to be donated.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2004
          KB3BOY is a spin off of K3BSA. K3BSA is a permanent, year round staffed ham station at Camp Delmont on the Musser Scout
          Reservation. See http://www.k3bsa.org

          73,
          Rick, WB3BSA

          wt2g wrote:

          > My Council is looking to start an international division. I'm trying
          > to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations. I
          > know of two near the New York area. Ockanickon Scout Reservation
          > (KB3BOY), Bucks County Council, Pa and Alamuchy, Northern New Jersey.
          > OSR is a great station, I was a Merrit Badge councelor there 2 years
          > ago. I've looked at Alamuchy's station but never was able to operate
          > it.
          > Thanks
          > Ted WT2G

          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          > ScoutRadio start page:
          >
          > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Johnnie Wimpee
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004

            Hi All Hams other Geeks

            What are your suggestions for a High Tech Camporee?

            Are four merit badges two much to expect for a Camporee environment?  Should it be geared such that the scouts can only earn requirements for one MB during the camporee?

            The events I was planning are:

                        A Fox and Hound hunt competition using a radio receiver and antenna that the scouts have built before the camporee.  The Foxes would be short range to add some Orienteering to the Hunt.  Also the Foxes could be used for competition between patrols to see who could sneak up on the Fox by giving the Fox the choice to turn off the beacon for a period if they see the Hounds.

                        Identify schematic symbols obstacle course and puzzle like the Survivor games where they could collect the symbols along the course and put the puzzle together at the end.  The schematic used would be the radio they built. Also other tests could be accomplished by puzzles or a race where the scouts would be asked questions before moving to the next station with a 1 minuite wait at a station were they didn't know the answer.

                        Have a Camporee Radio Station setup for the Troops to have time slots to operate the station.  A simple low power AM or FM radio station would setup for the scouts to operate as DJ, engineers, and other positions like reports to report on the events.

                        Troop or Patrol build a bridge using Popsicle sticks and white glue, or carpenters glue for waterproofing, with a two foot span and separate the bridges by their weight like you do with the Pine Wood Derby cars.  Then the bridges would be graded by the weight they could support.

                        Another would be for the troops or patrols to collect all the radio contacts for a period from Friday night until say noon Saturday.

            All comments and suggestion would be appreciated

            Johnnie Wimpee

            Spring Camporee Chariman

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Gary Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2004
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Johnnie Wimpee <jssa1978@y...>
              wrote:

              > Are four merit badges two much to expect for a Camporee
              environment? Should it be geared such that the scouts can only earn
              requirements for one MB during the camporee?

              In 1997, we did a "Watch The Skies" camporee in which the boys
              could choose one of three Merit badge programs. Aviation, Space
              Exploration and Radio MB were offered. It was also JOTA weekend, so
              a JOTA station was setup for all to visit.

              But it wasn't run like a normal camporee with stations for patrols
              to visit in sequence. It was more like summer camp with the
              individual Scouts picking which merit badge class they wanted to
              attend for the day.

              73

              Gary, K2GW
            • Al Katzman