Re: [Scoutradio] Camps with Stations

  • Al Bowman
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
      Anthony Wayne Area Council #157,Fort Wayne, Indiana - have Working radios at Council office. In process of setting up a permanent communication center for training and emergencies.

      Al Bowman, KC9APT
      (260)710-1892
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
        The National Boy Scouts of America has a permanent station for K2BSA at Camp
        Wisdom, Circle Ten Council, Dallas, Texas. The station is maintained by
        Venturing Crew 73 of Richardson, TX.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
          A permanent station is in the works at http://www.campbuffalo.com/. We have
          the funding, and are waiting for a promised modular building to be donated.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 5, 2004
            KB3BOY is a spin off of K3BSA. K3BSA is a permanent, year round staffed ham station at Camp Delmont on the Musser Scout
            Reservation. See http://www.k3bsa.org

            73,
            Rick, WB3BSA

            wt2g wrote:

            > My Council is looking to start an international division. I'm trying
            > to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations. I
            > know of two near the New York area. Ockanickon Scout Reservation
            > (KB3BOY), Bucks County Council, Pa and Alamuchy, Northern New Jersey.
            > OSR is a great station, I was a Merrit Badge councelor there 2 years
            > ago. I've looked at Alamuchy's station but never was able to operate
            > it.
            > Thanks
            > Ted WT2G

            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

            > ScoutRadio start page:
            >
            > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Johnnie Wimpee
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2004

              Hi All Hams other Geeks

              What are your suggestions for a High Tech Camporee?

              Are four merit badges two much to expect for a Camporee environment?  Should it be geared such that the scouts can only earn requirements for one MB during the camporee?

              The events I was planning are:

                          A Fox and Hound hunt competition using a radio receiver and antenna that the scouts have built before the camporee.  The Foxes would be short range to add some Orienteering to the Hunt.  Also the Foxes could be used for competition between patrols to see who could sneak up on the Fox by giving the Fox the choice to turn off the beacon for a period if they see the Hounds.

                          Identify schematic symbols obstacle course and puzzle like the Survivor games where they could collect the symbols along the course and put the puzzle together at the end.  The schematic used would be the radio they built. Also other tests could be accomplished by puzzles or a race where the scouts would be asked questions before moving to the next station with a 1 minuite wait at a station were they didn't know the answer.

                          Have a Camporee Radio Station setup for the Troops to have time slots to operate the station.  A simple low power AM or FM radio station would setup for the scouts to operate as DJ, engineers, and other positions like reports to report on the events.

                          Troop or Patrol build a bridge using Popsicle sticks and white glue, or carpenters glue for waterproofing, with a two foot span and separate the bridges by their weight like you do with the Pine Wood Derby cars.  Then the bridges would be graded by the weight they could support.

                          Another would be for the troops or patrols to collect all the radio contacts for a period from Friday night until say noon Saturday.

              All comments and suggestion would be appreciated

              Johnnie Wimpee

              Spring Camporee Chariman

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Gary Wilson
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2004
                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Johnnie Wimpee <jssa1978@y...>
                wrote:

                > Are four merit badges two much to expect for a Camporee
                environment? Should it be geared such that the scouts can only earn
                requirements for one MB during the camporee?

                In 1997, we did a "Watch The Skies" camporee in which the boys
                could choose one of three Merit badge programs. Aviation, Space
                Exploration and Radio MB were offered. It was also JOTA weekend, so
                a JOTA station was setup for all to visit.

                But it wasn't run like a normal camporee with stations for patrols
                to visit in sequence. It was more like summer camp with the
                individual Scouts picking which merit badge class they wanted to
                attend for the day.

                73

                Gary, K2GW
              • Al Katzman