Camps with Stations

  • wt2g
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2004
      My Council is looking to start an international division. I'm trying
      to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations. I
      know of two near the New York area. Ockanickon Scout Reservation
      (KB3BOY), Bucks County Council, Pa and Alamuchy, Northern New Jersey.
      OSR is a great station, I was a Merrit Badge councelor there 2 years
      ago. I've looked at Alamuchy's station but never was able to operate
      it.
      Thanks
      Ted WT2G
    • frank@fmaynard.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 29, 2004
        On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, wt2g wrote:

        > I'm trying
        > to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations.

        You'll probably hear about K3BSA, near Philadelphia: www.k3bsa.org

        Also, setting up either a permanent or temporary station at our in-Council
        camp, Camp Agawam (near Detroit), is one of my Wood Badge ticket items.
        For the forseeable future I think we're going to put up some antennas and
        carve out a corner of the OA lodge, and set up when there's an event, like
        Field Day or JOTA. My eventual goal though is to have a permanent station
        there, and to run Radio MB classes periodically.

        Good luck with your project!

        YiS es 73,
        Frank Maynard, NF8M
        CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Training & Roundtable Staff
        ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
        Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council
        Novi, Michigan
      • wb0tsx@cs.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 29, 2004
          Greetings,

          The Ben Delatour Scout Ranch, Longs Peak Council, near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado has a permanent ham shack.  The Longs Peak Council Amateur Radio Club has the callsign W0BSA.  The station is active most evenings June thru August and occasionally one month before and after our regular camping season.

          73 and good Scouting

          /s/  Ted Black, WB0TSX, Chief Operator
                 Chris Kelly, K0PF, Trustee
        • Al Katzman
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 29, 2004
            Frank, you might have a lot of folks in CVC there to help you.  I've thought about that from time to time at Lost Lake.  However there didn't seem to be a place to set one up plus it's a bit far to keep control.  I like the idea of having one at Agawam.

            Al Koch KA8JJN
            A mighty Owl from Macomb.

            frank@... wrote:
            On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, wt2g wrote:

            > I'm trying
            > to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations.

            You'll probably hear about K3BSA, near Philadelphia: www.k3bsa.org

            Also, setting up either a permanent or temporary station at our in-Council
            camp, Camp Agawam (near Detroit), is one of my Wood Badge ticket items.
            For the forseeable future I think we're going to put up some antennas and
            carve out a corner of the OA lodge, and set up when there's an event, like
            Field Day or JOTA. My eventual goal though is to have a permanent station
            there, and to run Radio MB classes periodically.

            Good luck with your project!

            YiS es 73,
            Frank Maynard, NF8M
            CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Training & Roundtable Staff
            ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
            Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council
            Novi, Michigan

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Al Bowman
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
              Anthony Wayne Area Council #157,Fort Wayne, Indiana - have Working radios at Council office. In process of setting up a permanent communication center for training and emergencies.

              Al Bowman, KC9APT
              (260)710-1892

              frank@... wrote:
              On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, wt2g wrote:

              > I'm trying
              > to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations.

              You'll probably hear about K3BSA, near Philadelphia: www.k3bsa.org

              Also, setting up either a permanent or temporary station at our in-Council
              camp, Camp Agawam (near Detroit), is one of my Wood Badge ticket items.
              For the forseeable future I think we're going to put up some antennas and
              carve out a corner of the OA lodge, and set up when there's an event, like
              Field Day or JOTA. My eventual goal though is to have a permanent station
              there, and to run Radio MB classes periodically.

              Good luck with your project!

              YiS es 73,
              Frank Maynard, NF8M
              CM, Pack 54; MC, Troop 407; District Training & Roundtable Staff
              ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
              Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council
              Novi, Michigan

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Frank Krizan
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
                The National Boy Scouts of America has a permanent station for K2BSA at Camp
                Wisdom, Circle Ten Council, Dallas, Texas. The station is maintained by
                Venturing Crew 73 of Richardson, TX.

                73, Frank KR1ZAN

                My Council is looking to start an international division. I'm trying
                to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations.

                ,,, snip ... snip ...
              • jeff_yahoo@burnshome.org
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 30, 2004
                  A permanent station is in the works at http://www.campbuffalo.com/. We have
                  the funding, and are waiting for a promised modular building to be donated.

                  My Council is looking to start an international division. I'm trying
                  to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations. I
                  know of two near the New York area. Ockanickon Scout Reservation
                  (KB3BOY), Bucks County Council, Pa and Alamuchy, Northern New Jersey.
                  OSR is a great station, I was a Merrit Badge councelor there 2 years
                  ago. I've looked at Alamuchy's station but never was able to operate
                  it.
                  Thanks
                  Ted WT2G

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Richard A. Blank
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 5 4:31 PM
                    KB3BOY is a spin off of K3BSA. K3BSA is a permanent, year round staffed ham station at Camp Delmont on the Musser Scout
                    Reservation. See http://www.k3bsa.org

                    73,
                    Rick, WB3BSA

                    wt2g wrote:

                    > My Council is looking to start an international division. I'm trying
                    > to get a idea of how many camps have permanant amateur stations. I
                    > know of two near the New York area. Ockanickon Scout Reservation
                    > (KB3BOY), Bucks County Council, Pa and Alamuchy, Northern New Jersey.
                    > OSR is a great station, I was a Merrit Badge councelor there 2 years
                    > ago. I've looked at Alamuchy's station but never was able to operate
                    > it.
                    > Thanks
                    > Ted WT2G

                    > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                    > ScoutRadio start page:
                    >
                    > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Johnnie Wimpee
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 6 6:38 AM

                      Hi All Hams other Geeks

                      What are your suggestions for a High Tech Camporee?

                      Are four merit badges two much to expect for a Camporee environment?  Should it be geared such that the scouts can only earn requirements for one MB during the camporee?

                      The events I was planning are:

                                  A Fox and Hound hunt competition using a radio receiver and antenna that the scouts have built before the camporee.  The Foxes would be short range to add some Orienteering to the Hunt.  Also the Foxes could be used for competition between patrols to see who could sneak up on the Fox by giving the Fox the choice to turn off the beacon for a period if they see the Hounds.

                                  Identify schematic symbols obstacle course and puzzle like the Survivor games where they could collect the symbols along the course and put the puzzle together at the end.  The schematic used would be the radio they built. Also other tests could be accomplished by puzzles or a race where the scouts would be asked questions before moving to the next station with a 1 minuite wait at a station were they didn't know the answer.

                                  Have a Camporee Radio Station setup for the Troops to have time slots to operate the station.  A simple low power AM or FM radio station would setup for the scouts to operate as DJ, engineers, and other positions like reports to report on the events.

                                  Troop or Patrol build a bridge using Popsicle sticks and white glue, or carpenters glue for waterproofing, with a two foot span and separate the bridges by their weight like you do with the Pine Wood Derby cars.  Then the bridges would be graded by the weight they could support.

                                  Another would be for the troops or patrols to collect all the radio contacts for a period from Friday night until say noon Saturday.

                      All comments and suggestion would be appreciated

                      Johnnie Wimpee

                      Spring Camporee Chariman

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Gary Wilson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 7 6:33 AM
                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Johnnie Wimpee <jssa1978@y...>
                        wrote:

                        > Are four merit badges two much to expect for a Camporee
                        environment? Should it be geared such that the scouts can only earn
                        requirements for one MB during the camporee?

                        In 1997, we did a "Watch The Skies" camporee in which the boys
                        could choose one of three Merit badge programs. Aviation, Space
                        Exploration and Radio MB were offered. It was also JOTA weekend, so
                        a JOTA station was setup for all to visit.

                        But it wasn't run like a normal camporee with stations for patrols
                        to visit in sequence. It was more like summer camp with the
                        individual Scouts picking which merit badge class they wanted to
                        attend for the day.

                        73

                        Gary, K2GW
                      • Al Katzman