Re: [Scoutradio] merit badge counselor question

  • Al Bowman
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2004
      Brian,

      If you are a qualified and registered merit badge counselor, you can sign for the Scout's completed requirements. The Scoutmaster and Board of Review of the Scout's troop will review
      and approved his merit badge.  The Advancement report is then signed within the troop and submitted to the Scout's local Council.

      Many merit badge counselors serve in summer camps for Scouts from other councils.

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 19, 2004
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Al Bowman" <abowman@a...> wrote:
        > If you are a qualified and registered merit badge counselor, you
        can sign for the Scout's completed requirements. The Scoutmaster and
        Board of Review of the Scout's troop will review
        > and approved his merit badge. The Advancement report is then
        signed within the troop and submitted to the Scout's local Council.

        > Many merit badge counselors serve in summer camps for Scouts from
        other councils.

        That's correct. The merit badge is technically awarded by the local
        troop's Board of Review on it's advancement report, not by the
        counselor. That's why he or she is a "counselor", and not
        an "approver".

        Being a counselor who holds a current appointment from another
        council shouldn't make a difference to the local unit Board of
        Review. Many Scout units attend summer camps run by other councils
        and the question never comes up then, so there's no reason it should
        arise during the winter.

        One more obscure point from a former commissioner and Wood Badge
        staffer. Technically, a boy is supposed to tell his Scoutmaster
        that he wants to work on a Merit Badge before he starts. The
        specific Merit Badge counselor for that boy is then selected by the
        Scoutmaster, not the Scout. But as a practical matter, the
        selection of the specific counselor is usually the boy looking at a
        list published by the district and selecting one near his home.

        The bottom line. You can sign the "blue card" for a Scout from
        another council. 99% of the time there won't be a problem for the
        Scout.

        73 & YIS

        Gary Wilson, K2GW
        Radio MB Counselor
      • woodbadge_owl
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 24, 2004
          I disagree with some statements made below but I don't want to get
          into an online agrument. So here's my current information. I base
          this on a letter we received from National about the Merit Badge
          process and reading the Advancement Rules and Regulations Book. The
          Scoutmaster must approve the scout to take the badge before the
          scout is allowed to call a MB counselor. Once the Merit Badge
          counselor signs off on a badge, that scout has then earned the
          badge. The Board of Review can neither take away nor approve of any
          Merit Badges the scout has earned or wants to earn. The Scoutmaster
          must then sign off that the scout did get the signature of the MB
          counselor. This is a "signal" to the troop advancment chair that
          the scout has passed the badge. The troop advancement chair then
          processes the paperwork, not the board of review nor the
          Scoutmaster. Also the Scoutmaster cannot refuse a scout a badge
          once the MB counselor has signed the card. If there is a problem
          with the MB counselor, then the District Advancement Chair must
          resolve that (or Council Advancement Committee if it gets that
          far). If action is taken against the counselor, none of the scouts
          who were signed off on the badges from that counselor loose their
          badges.

          Lastly, if you are registered in one council as a MB counselor for
          BSA, then you are registered world wide for Boy Scout of America.

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@a...> wrote:

          > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Al Bowman" <abowman@a...>
          wrote:
          > > If you are a qualified and registered merit badge counselor, you
          > can sign for the Scout's completed requirements. The Scoutmaster
          and
          > Board of Review of the Scout's troop will review
          > > and approved his merit badge. The Advancement report is then
          > signed within the troop and submitted to the Scout's local Council.
          > >
          > > Many merit badge counselors serve in summer camps for Scouts
          from
          > other councils.
          >

          > That's correct. The merit badge is technically awarded by the
          local
          > troop's Board of Review on it's advancement report, not by the
          > counselor. That's why he or she is a "counselor", and not
          > an "approver".
          >
          > Being a counselor who holds a current appointment from another
          > council shouldn't make a difference to the local unit Board of
          > Review. Many Scout units attend summer camps run by other
          councils
          > and the question never comes up then, so there's no reason it
          should
          > arise during the winter.
          >
          > One more obscure point from a former commissioner and Wood Badge
          > staffer. Technically, a boy is supposed to tell his Scoutmaster
          > that he wants to work on a Merit Badge before he starts. The
          > specific Merit Badge counselor for that boy is then selected by
          the
          > Scoutmaster, not the Scout. But as a practical matter, the
          > selection of the specific counselor is usually the boy looking at
          > list published by the district and selecting one near his home.
          >
          > The bottom line. You can sign the "blue card" for a Scout from
          > another council. 99% of the time there won't be a problem for the
          > Scout.
          >
          > 73 & YIS
          >
          > Gary Wilson, K2GW
          > Radio MB Counselor
        • Bill Stewart
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 25, 2004
            No arguement needed. You are precisely right. That is exactly how it's supposed to work.
            The Board of Review is just that a review Board. It doesn't approve individual requirements,
            it is supposed to review what has been accomplished and insure that the Scout is actually doing
            the requirements of the rank.

            YiS,

            Bill, Venturing Crew 80, W2BSA