merit badge counselor question

  • Brian Cieslak
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2004
      I am a radio merit badge counselor registered with the
      southeast wisconsin council. I have several scouts
      from another council that stopped by our JOTA
      operation and started working on their radio merit
      badges and they want me to be their counselor mostly
      because they have access to me at the radio club
      meetings they've been coming to.

      Can I sign off their cards since if they are from
      another council? Or do I have to register with thier
      council too?

      Brian K9WIS

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Dee/Ham
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2004
        I think you can sign but to be sure check with your District Exec.

        Dee/N5UIG
        > I am a radio merit badge counselor registered with the
        > southeast wisconsin council. I have several scouts
        > from another council that stopped by our JOTA
        > operation and started working on their radio merit
        > badges and they want me to be their counselor mostly
        > because they have access to me at the radio club
        > meetings they've been coming to.
        >
        > Can I sign off their cards since if they are from
        > another council? Or do I have to register with thier
        > council too?
        >
        > Brian K9WIS

        > http://my.yahoo.com

        > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them subscibe

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        > ScoutRadio start page:
        >
        > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Al Bowman
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 2004
          Brian,

          If you are a qualified and registered merit badge counselor, you can sign for the Scout's completed requirements. The Scoutmaster and Board of Review of the Scout's troop will review
          and approved his merit badge.  The Advancement report is then signed within the troop and submitted to the Scout's local Council.

          Many merit badge counselors serve in summer camps for Scouts from other councils.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 19, 2004
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Al Bowman" <abowman@a...> wrote:
            > If you are a qualified and registered merit badge counselor, you
            can sign for the Scout's completed requirements. The Scoutmaster and
            Board of Review of the Scout's troop will review
            > and approved his merit badge. The Advancement report is then
            signed within the troop and submitted to the Scout's local Council.

            > Many merit badge counselors serve in summer camps for Scouts from
            other councils.

            That's correct. The merit badge is technically awarded by the local
            troop's Board of Review on it's advancement report, not by the
            counselor. That's why he or she is a "counselor", and not
            an "approver".

            Being a counselor who holds a current appointment from another
            council shouldn't make a difference to the local unit Board of
            Review. Many Scout units attend summer camps run by other councils
            and the question never comes up then, so there's no reason it should
            arise during the winter.

            One more obscure point from a former commissioner and Wood Badge
            staffer. Technically, a boy is supposed to tell his Scoutmaster
            that he wants to work on a Merit Badge before he starts. The
            specific Merit Badge counselor for that boy is then selected by the
            Scoutmaster, not the Scout. But as a practical matter, the
            selection of the specific counselor is usually the boy looking at a
            list published by the district and selecting one near his home.

            The bottom line. You can sign the "blue card" for a Scout from
            another council. 99% of the time there won't be a problem for the
            Scout.

            73 & YIS

            Gary Wilson, K2GW
            Radio MB Counselor
          • woodbadge_owl
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 24, 2004
              I disagree with some statements made below but I don't want to get
              into an online agrument. So here's my current information. I base
              this on a letter we received from National about the Merit Badge
              process and reading the Advancement Rules and Regulations Book. The
              Scoutmaster must approve the scout to take the badge before the
              scout is allowed to call a MB counselor. Once the Merit Badge
              counselor signs off on a badge, that scout has then earned the
              badge. The Board of Review can neither take away nor approve of any
              Merit Badges the scout has earned or wants to earn. The Scoutmaster
              must then sign off that the scout did get the signature of the MB
              counselor. This is a "signal" to the troop advancment chair that
              the scout has passed the badge. The troop advancement chair then
              processes the paperwork, not the board of review nor the
              Scoutmaster. Also the Scoutmaster cannot refuse a scout a badge
              once the MB counselor has signed the card. If there is a problem
              with the MB counselor, then the District Advancement Chair must
              resolve that (or Council Advancement Committee if it gets that
              far). If action is taken against the counselor, none of the scouts
              who were signed off on the badges from that counselor loose their
              badges.

              Lastly, if you are registered in one council as a MB counselor for
              BSA, then you are registered world wide for Boy Scout of America.

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@a...> wrote:

              > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Al Bowman" <abowman@a...>
              wrote:
              > > If you are a qualified and registered merit badge counselor, you
              > can sign for the Scout's completed requirements. The Scoutmaster
              and
              > Board of Review of the Scout's troop will review
              > > and approved his merit badge. The Advancement report is then
              > signed within the troop and submitted to the Scout's local Council.
              > >
              > > Many merit badge counselors serve in summer camps for Scouts
              from
              > other councils.
              >

              > That's correct. The merit badge is technically awarded by the
              local
              > troop's Board of Review on it's advancement report, not by the
              > counselor. That's why he or she is a "counselor", and not
              > an "approver".
              >
              > Being a counselor who holds a current appointment from another
              > council shouldn't make a difference to the local unit Board of
              > Review. Many Scout units attend summer camps run by other
              councils
              > and the question never comes up then, so there's no reason it
              should
              > arise during the winter.
              >
              > One more obscure point from a former commissioner and Wood Badge
              > staffer. Technically, a boy is supposed to tell his Scoutmaster
              > that he wants to work on a Merit Badge before he starts. The
              > specific Merit Badge counselor for that boy is then selected by
              the
              > Scoutmaster, not the Scout. But as a practical matter, the
              > selection of the specific counselor is usually the boy looking at
              > list published by the district and selecting one near his home.
              >
              > The bottom line. You can sign the "blue card" for a Scout from
              > another council. 99% of the time there won't be a problem for the
              > Scout.
              >
              > 73 & YIS
              >
              > Gary Wilson, K2GW
              > Radio MB Counselor
            • Bill Stewart
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 25, 2004
                No arguement needed. You are precisely right. That is exactly how it's supposed to work.
                The Board of Review is just that a review Board. It doesn't approve individual requirements,
                it is supposed to review what has been accomplished and insure that the Scout is actually doing
                the requirements of the rank.

                YiS,

                Bill, Venturing Crew 80, W2BSA