K2BSA/2 JOTA Report

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2004
      FYI. Here's my JOTA report for K2BSA/2. Don't forget to file yours
      on the ARRL website. A copy goes to BSA HQ for inclusion in their
      national report to WOSM. But share it here as well!

      73 & YIS

      Gary Wilson, K2GW

      JOTA 2004 at the Central New Jersey Council Camporee
      By Gary Wilson, K2GW

      The Delaware Valley Radio Association has a long history of opening
      its club station or setting up portable operations to introduce
      Scouts to Amateur Radio through the annual Jamboree on the Air.
      This year a unique opportunity existed in that JOTA weekend would
      see the entire Central New Jersey Council holding a council wide
      camporee nearby. This means that 2200 Scouts would be camping in
      the same we've used for Field Day the past three years. A
      significant portable operation was obviously inevitable!

      The camporee featured a "Merit Badge Midway" with booths
      highlighting various merit badges and offering opportunities to
      complete one or two requirements for them. The midway was to be
      located in the unused skating rink. We knew from past experience
      that this area is one big echo chamber. Thus we decided to set up
      an information booth there with hands on exhibits and a
      VHF/UHF/EchoLink station, but also set up two HF stations in tents
      just outside the rink entrance where things would be quieter.

      We decided on three stations because of the number of Scouts
      attending. We didn't want to have more than two Scouts waiting
      because if one talks for five minutes, the others are just watching
      for fifteen minutes and that exceeds their attention span. Also,
      the kids get just as much a kick of talking thirty miles as three
      thousand. JOTA weekend can get crowded on HF, so a VHF/UHF/EchoLink
      station with club members standing by to talk to them provided a
      good back-up.

      An effort of this size requires planning and division of
      responsibilities. The clubs three Radio Merit Badge Counselors were
      the initial core. Alex Flinsch, AB2RC, is our JOTA coordinator and
      took on the task of setting up his tent and the primary HF station.
      Don Wright, AA2F (the ARRL Instructor of the Year) set up the Radio
      Merit Badge information exhibit inside the rink. Gary Wilson, K2GW,
      took on the paperwork aspects (liaison with the council, JOTA
      participation and QSL cards, securing K2BSA/2, etc.), and provided
      the portable HF antennas and the second HF station.

      Since the operation was similar to our Field Day operations, two of
      the clubs logistics experts were named to the committee. Dave
      Martin, W0SNJ, provided the VHF/UHF/EchoLink Station at the inside
      exhibit and handled power distribution. Steve Huston, W2SRH,
      coordinated the tentage and was the operated the second station when
      needed. In addition, Christian Ingerslev, AB2SN, was helping to run
      the orienteering event on the other side of the park. He used his
      HT from there to provide contacts for the boys using VHF.

      Planning was done with weekly nets on the W2ZQ repeater. This
      allowed us to keep each other in synch without spending a lot of
      time in meetings.

      A requirement for using K2BSA/2 is that you have to answer all QSL
      requests. Commemorative QSL's for K2BSA/2 were printed using
      WB8RCR's free QSLMaker software. It's invaluable for
      creating small
      runs of custom QSL cards.

      We also made up our own JOTA participation cards for the boys. Ours
      had space on the back for logging the details of their contact.
      This became a Radio Merit Badge Partial completion form for
      Requirements 7a2 and 8. Telling the boys that they get to complete
      some Merit Badge requirements was a big draw.

      We arrived at 7 AM to be ready for the 9 AM opening of the midway.
      Everything was up and running by 8:30 AM. The weather was cool and
      very windy, but the Buddipole at 16 feet for 20 Meters and the
      inverted Vees on a DK9SQ mast for 80 and 40 meters stayed up without
      incident. Our antennas were chosen for reliable US English language
      rag chews and not weak DX exchange of signal reports. The NVIS
      inverted Vee's did a great job of turning forty meter 1000 mile
      SSB
      contacts into armchair copy for the Scouts. About noon, the 20 knot
      wind broke the tent frame at the back-up HF station, but we quickly
      relocated that equipment to the other half of the primary station
      tent and continued operation.

      About 100 Scouts made leisurely on the air contacts during the seven
      hours. We talked to 31 unique stations in forty separate QSO's.

      These included four Scout camps, ten states and three countries on
      40 meters, 20 meters, 2 meters and a 440 RF link to EchoLink.

      About 200 other Scouts took literature on licensing and the upcoming
      Radio Merit Badge day that we will be hosting with our sister club,
      the David Sarnoff Radio Club, on January 8th.

      The Merit Badge Midway closed at 4 PM and we were all packed up by 5
      PM. Now it's on to Radio Merit Badge Day in January!

      73 and thanks to all who helped!

      Gary, K2GW