Questions???

  • Eugene Martin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
      Bob,

      Our District, Carroll District of the Baltimore Area Council, just had
      their Klondike Derby on January 22nd. Not being a very active or
      technical HAM, I'm going to have to ask some very basic questions.

      You wrote:

      >Watching the tedious voice reporting of never ending numbers, repeats,

      >no answers, and then being manually entered into a laptop, I thought
      t>here could be an APRS solution...

      >If a station had a THD7, he could just enter a message:

      >NETCON: 14- 134/19 127/15 139/25 167/56 145/09

      >Meaning "Station 14 reporting the following teams and scores: Team 134,
      19
      >points, team 127, 15 points, team 139, 25 points, team 167, 56 points
      and team 145, 9 points."

      >All APRS versions keep log files. These messages could be ingested
      into
      >any spreadsheet program for instant results... with no further operator
      intervention...

      My questions are:

      What does APRS mean?

      What is THD7?

      Gene Martin, KA3PRG
      Carroll District Activities Committee Chairman
      Baltimore Area Council
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
        On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Eugene Martin wrote:

        > Our District, Carroll District of the Baltimore Area Council, just had
        > their Klondike Derby on January 22nd. Not being a very active or
        > technical HAM, I'm going to have to ask some very basic questions.
        >
        > What does APRS mean?
        > What is THD7?

        APRS stands for AUtomatic Packet/Position Reporting System. It is a
        worldwide network of over 600 DIGIpeaters in the USA, and tens of
        thousands of HAMS all on the same 2 meter frequency nationwide (144.39) .
        What you see when you run the software, is not just text, but full color
        map displays from your neighborhood all the way up to the whole world.
        You can zoom in anywhere. Eveyone within range of you(usually a hundred
        or so) will all be on the map. YOu can see what type of station, their
        course, speed, distance, range. They appear as any one fo hundreds of
        different custom icons depending on whether they are a car, ship, bicycle,
        house, ATV or whatver.

        And you can communicate with any of them just by typing their callsign..
        I desigend it 8 years ago after the fully real-time tactical display
        systems in the navy. Since then it has swept through amateur radio as the
        greatest thing since sliced bread for communicating amongst a large number
        of people in real time, and ALL sharing the same frequency...

        etc... The ARRL has published two books on it.... etc..

        The THD7 is a fully integrated 5w dual band HT from Kenwood with built in
        1200 and 9600 baud TNC's and the HT can display all of the above
        information ON ITS TINY SCREEN!

        Easiest thing is to start at my WEB site:

        http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html

        Hope that helps...

        de WB4APR, Bob