Nice to see this group alive again

  • Dave Colter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
      -.-. --.- -.. . .-- .- .---- --.. -.-. -. (sent at 1wpm, all I can
      manage these days :))
      I supposed I'm as guilty as anyone else when it comes to this group
      being so quiet.

      We just participated in the VHF contest last weekend as a club (Twin
      State Radio Club - W1FN), and my three licensed (Techs) Scouts came
      along. It was their first contest and they had a ball. Each one made a
      few contacts on SSB, also a first for them, and spent a great deal more
      time listening to the other more experienced ops (like Mike N1JEZ) pull
      out all the stops. Besides that, they were a great help in getting the
      antennas up, since we had to dig out the antenna tower trailer from a
      snowbank and drag it up the mountain with my 4WD. (Temp was -5,
      windchill -50, so they worked fast!) All three are also club members,
      and are very glad now that I moved our summer camp week to let us all
      attend Field Day!

      Now, I've got three or four more Scouts who want to study for their
      exams, and one of the no-coders wants to learn the code and move up to
      General, so it looks like I'm in for another class this year. ARRL has
      a new piece of self-study software out, and I'm going to order a copy to
      evaluate. I may use that in conjunction with live teaching and video
      tapes, as soon as ARRL updates them. Last year, the combination of
      study software and video tapes worked very well.

      73
      Dave Colter, WA1ZCN
      Scoutmaster, Troop 71 New London, NH
      http://www.geocities.com/nhscouter
      http://www.geocities.com/scouttraveler
    • Novatech Com. LTD.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2000
        I posted in hope to get, one some action happening here, and two, to
        get a few stations lined up for the GOTA weekend.........nothing.

        >I supposed I'm as guilty as anyone else when it comes to this group
        >being so quiet.
        >
        >We just participated in the VHF contest last weekend as a club (Twin
        >State Radio Club - W1FN), and my three licensed (Techs) Scouts came
        >along. It was their first contest and they had a ball. Each one made a
        >few contacts on SSB, also a first for them, and spent a great deal more
        >time listening to the other more experienced ops (like Mike N1JEZ) pull
        >out all the stops. Besides that, they were a great help in getting the
        >antennas up, since we had to dig out the antenna tower trailer from a
        >snowbank and drag it up the mountain with my 4WD. (Temp was -5,
        >windchill -50, so they worked fast!) All three are also club members,
        >and are very glad now that I moved our summer camp week to let us all
        >attend Field Day!
        >
        >Now, I've got three or four more Scouts who want to study for their
        >exams, and one of the no-coders wants to learn the code and move up to
        >General, so it looks like I'm in for another class this year. ARRL has
        >a new piece of self-study software out, and I'm going to order a copy to
        >evaluate. I may use that in conjunction with live teaching and video
        >tapes, as soon as ARRL updates them. Last year, the combination of
        >study software and video tapes worked very well.
        >
        >73
        >Dave Colter, WA1ZCN
        >Scoutmaster, Troop 71 New London, NH
        >http://www.geocities.com/nhscouter
        >http://www.geocities.com/scouttraveler

        >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
        >Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
        Here</a>

      • Novatech Com. LTD.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2000
          Guess what ! It died again. I have seen more action in grave yards
          then on this list.......
        • Chris Schwab
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2000
            I guess it's because we're in the "slow" part of the scouting & ham radio
            season.

            Does anyone have any experience doing satellite contacts with scouts? I'm
            going to Camp Danie Boone in NC this summer and would like to make some
            contacts back home to the Tampa, FL area. I've bought one of the Arrow
            antennas and am thinking about taking another beam antenna and setting up
            for APRS ops..

            Chris

            Chris Schwab, N4BSA
            Scoutmaster, Troop 488 Largo FL