RE: [Scoutradio] JOTA the 16th

  • WA2EXX-Stan Rogacki
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 7, 2004
      If you have IRLP over FM repeater capabilities, advise what node or reflector you can be found on.  Then, the girls can chat static and interference-free.  Operation is easier and higher fidelity than HF.  I'm running a BSA JOTA at a park near the George Washington Bridge (NJ side), and will be utilizing node 4469, in addition to 20m and 40m SSB.

      Both my XYL Elizabeth (N2JGO) and daughter Stasia (K7SMR) are heavily involved with GS.  They can access the IRLP if anyone needs some Girl Scout contacts.

      Did you see the GS Radio Patch on the ARRL website?

      Stan
      WA2EXX
      North Caldwell, NJ

    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2004
        Hi again:

        These were all very awesome ideas and I so love the
        enthusiasm in these ideas. I love the suggestions and
        I would love more. My problems are only keeping
        everyone entertained. So far, we have chili cookout,
        Pumpkin cutting and a road cleanup from the city park
        to the 2 miles and the highway crossing. Please keep
        the GOOD SPIRITS and I hope to see you all on HF and
        20 M. Take care

        73's

        Don Burgess
        WB0RMK Special Event Station
      • Malcolm - G4CXT
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2004
          Don + the group,

          For some other activites and games ideas check out the recently updated UK
          Radio Scouting website here:

          www.radio-scouting.org.uk

          I, like you guys am keen to add to the information already there - either
          by linking to existing websites or by translating from the excellent
          messages such as those which appear in this group.

          Please feel free to submit website links for inclusion on the site (there's
          a button for doing just that!) and if you have activity ideas you want to
          share please get in touch, or use the forums on the site to share your
          great ideas.

          Although its a UK based site we welcome guests and encourage new members
          from all over the world to sign-up (hey, its quick, easy and free!)

          73

          Malcolm
          G4CXT
          webmanager www.radio-scouting.org.uk
          ADC(Scouts) Deben District, Suffolk, UK
          Operator @ GB2IRS in JOTA 2004

          At 02:58 08/10/2004, you wrote:

          >Hi again:
          >
          >These were all very awesome ideas and I so love the
          >enthusiasm in these ideas. I love the suggestions and
          >I would love more.
        • Johnnie Wimpee
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2004
            Since most people understand using a Cell phone, but most don't understand that Ham's have been doing that for years.  A repeater setup is a simple cell operation. Showing the youth that a Ham repeater with phone patch can operate like a Cell phone would get more attention than the DX and other neat aspects of the Hobby.

            Just my two cents

            Johnnie Wimpee

            Don <thelostiowan@...> wrote:

            Hi again:

            These were all very awesome ideas and I so love the
            enthusiasm in these ideas.  I love the suggestions and
            I would love more.  My problems are only keeping
            everyone entertained. So far, we have chili cookout,
            Pumpkin cutting and a road cleanup from the city park
            to the 2 miles and the highway crossing.   Please keep
            the GOOD SPIRITS and I hope to see you all on HF and
            20 M.  Take care

            73's

            Don Burgess
            WB0RMK Special Event Station

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Fusaro, Norm W3IZ
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 8, 2004

              Don’t forget to add your JOTA activity to the Youth Sked page on ARRL website.  This will help folks find your operation.

              http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/

              More information about JOTA can be found at: http://www.scouting.org/international/jota.html -and- http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/jota.html

              W1AW

              Again this year W1AW will be hosting local scouts on Saturday October 16th for JOTA.  The focus this year will be "merit badge in a day."  Mark Spencer, WA8SME, will be hosting the event.  He will be using a TX developed syllabus that will lead to the scouts achieving the radio merit badge during their participation in JOTA at the station.  There will be two settings for the training, 8 to 12 and 12 to 4.  So far there are about 20 scouts signed up to participate in the program.

              Anyone is welcome to stop by to participate in JOTA.

              W3IZ

              I will be QRV from Bowmansville, PA on the Lancaster & Berks County line 10/15 - 10/16.  I will have my usual camping station set up consisting of Yaesu FT-897 with SGC tuner and a wire antenna in a tilted L configuration.  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w3iz/tuner.html

              Operation will be mostly 40m SSB but will look at 20m & 17m for JOTA activity.

              Norm Fusaro, W3IZ

              ARRL Affiliated Club/Mentor Program Manager

              225 Main St.

              Newington, CT 06011

              w3iz@...

              860-594-0230

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2004
                Thank you Sir:

                I am so eager for next weekend.....See you all on the
                air. If you are in the Twin Cities area we will be
                on the 147.165 Carver Repeater and on simplex @
                146.490 and on State packet too :) We are hoping to
                allow the girls to send email via packet too. The
                Current setup includes 2 verticals 10 - 40 and an
                inverted V and 4:1 Carolina Windom. I am so
                eager....I hope to be on 20 Meters and around 14.300
                area. or lower. See you all soon..

                73's

                Don B.
                --- Malcolm - G4CXT <g4cxt@...> wrote:

                > Don + the group,
                >
                > For some other activites and games ideas check out
                > the recently updated UK
                > Radio Scouting website here:
                >
                > www.radio-scouting.org.uk
                >
                > I, like you guys am keen to add to the information
                > already there - either
                > by linking to existing websites or by translating
                > from the excellent
                > messages such as those which appear in this group.
                >
                > Please feel free to submit website links for
                > inclusion on the site (there's
                > a button for doing just that!) and if you have
                > activity ideas you want to
                > share please get in touch, or use the forums on the
                > site to share your
                > great ideas.
                >
                > Although its a UK based site we welcome guests and
                > encourage new members
                > from all over the world to sign-up (hey, its quick,
                > easy and free!)
                >
                > 73
                >
                > Malcolm
                > G4CXT
                > webmanager www.radio-scouting.org.uk
                > ADC(Scouts) Deben District, Suffolk, UK
                > Operator @ GB2IRS in JOTA 2004
                >

                > At 02:58 08/10/2004, you wrote:
                >

                > >Hi again:
                > >
                > >These were all very awesome ideas and I so love the
                > >enthusiasm in these ideas. I love the suggestions
                > and
                > >I would love more.

                http://vote.yahoo.com
              • kimbare
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2004
                  Re: [mail] [Scoutradio] JOTA the 16th Anyone have the address for the patches and the joti patches?
                • WA2EXX-Stan Rogacki
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2004
                    Re: [mail] [Scoutradio] JOTA the 16th

                    Stan WA2EXX

                  • Michael Grcevich
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 8, 2004
                      JOTA address is Jamboree-On-the-Air Certificate Cards
                      & Patches, S221,1325 West Walnut Hill Lane, P.O. Box
                      152079,Irving, TX 75015-2079 Patch 3.50 each
                      Still checking on JOTI pactches...Mike kb6usj and
                      Mount Diablo Amateur Radio Club JOTA special event
                      radio W6CX

                      http://mail.yahoo.com