[Scoutradio] Need advise on APRS Setup

  • Martin A. Flynn
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2004
      My Sea Scout Ship helps out with several events a year on the North &
      Hudson Rivers. NY ARES puts an operator on board as a backup communicator
      (the VHF marine channels can be unusable to basic overload & bad
      operators) We were contemplating the idea of using APRS to see where all
      the assist boats are.

      I was considering the MFJ-8621 & MFJ-1270 to start with, and if the 8621
      won't cut it, I have a 110 Watt Syntor as a second choice. Antenna wise, I
      think we are OK with an RFS Cellwave BA1010 antenna already
      mounted. Position info can be obtained from the existing GPS & heading
      sensors.

      Sanity Check time: Has anyone interfaced APRS with an existing mapping
      system such as Maptech's Ocean Navigator or are we better off using WinAPRS?

      Martin A. Flynn
      Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
      M/V Seahorse
      http://ship243.org
      ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
      ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==
    • Sjaak van Dam
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
        Hi Martin,

        > My Sea Scout Ship helps out with several events a year on the North &
        > Hudson Rivers. NY ARES puts an operator on board as a backup
        communicator
        --8<--cut---8<---cut---8<---

        > Sanity Check time: Has anyone interfaced APRS with an existing mapping
        > system such as Maptech's Ocean Navigator or are we better off using
        WinAPRS?

        I'm not familiar with Ocean Navigator or WinAPRS.

        As far as I know most APRS programs interface with the most common
        (land) mapping programs.

        I'm a big fan of UI-View (www.ui-view.com).
        UI-View costs $15 for the full version sadly the author Roger, G4IDE
        passed away September 9th. The program however is very well supported
        by the UI-View community.

        If Ocean Navigator allows you to export maps then UI-View can probably
        use them.

        An other option is Xastir (www.xastir.org) Xastir is an open source
        (free) APRS program that supports 124 different map formats and
        several downloadable (free) GIS maps. It can also run on 21+ different
        operating systems.

        In order to track the different ships you don't need to set them up
        with a full-blown TNC. You can use an Open Tracker
        (http://n1vg.net/opentracker/) to track the ships.
        The Open Tracker is an open source variant to the TinyTrak by Byonics
        (http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/).

        As you can tell I'm a big fan of open source projects like Xastir and
        the Open Tracker and Opentrac (http://www.opentrac.org/) especially in
        our radio hobby.

        YIS,

        Sjaak