Re: Updated BSA Radio Merit Badge Materials In Files Area

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2004
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, James Mahoney <jamesmahoney@j...>
      wrote:
      > I just downloaded the materials and they are excellent!
      >
      > I will be putting together a class for our troop which I hope we
      can
      > tie into this year's JOTA. Thanks for getting this material
      together.

      I'm glad you found them useful. Thanks for offering Radio MB to
      your local Scouts!

      They've really had a number of authors over the years as parts were
      taken from different presentations. So I'm really more of an editor
      at this point.

      One thing I still need to do is to make an accompanying list of
      visual aids for the instructor to bring. This makes the class more
      than just a lecture and thus keeps the boys interest.

      These would include:

      a white board or flip chart and markers
      a spectrum chart
      a dozen different electronic components to pass around
      a code practice oscillator for demoing CW
      a receiver to hear WWV, etc.
      QSL cards
      a small radio with it's circuit diagram
      a bulb, battery and wire to show an open and closed ciruit.
      A map of the US showing call areas.
      An HT, Mobile radio and HF Base station.

      Other suggestions would be appreciated

      At KB3BOY at Ockanickon Scout Reservation, where I normally teach
      Radio MB, I blessed with having all of these things normally
      available.

      Best of luck in Allentown. I went to Lehigh University in Bethlehem
      where W3LPB was one of my Elmers, so I'm kind of an ex-neighbor.

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • Martin A. Flynn
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2004
        My Sea Scout Ship helps out with several events a year on the North &
        Hudson Rivers. NY ARES puts an operator on board as a backup communicator
        (the VHF marine channels can be unusable to basic overload & bad
        operators) We were contemplating the idea of using APRS to see where all
        the assist boats are.

        I was considering the MFJ-8621 & MFJ-1270 to start with, and if the 8621
        won't cut it, I have a 110 Watt Syntor as a second choice. Antenna wise, I
        think we are OK with an RFS Cellwave BA1010 antenna already
        mounted. Position info can be obtained from the existing GPS & heading
        sensors.

        Sanity Check time: Has anyone interfaced APRS with an existing mapping
        system such as Maptech's Ocean Navigator or are we better off using WinAPRS?

        Martin A. Flynn
        Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
        M/V Seahorse
        http://ship243.org
        ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
        ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==
      • Sjaak van Dam
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
          Hi Martin,

          > My Sea Scout Ship helps out with several events a year on the North &
          > Hudson Rivers. NY ARES puts an operator on board as a backup
          communicator
          --8<--cut---8<---cut---8<---

          > Sanity Check time: Has anyone interfaced APRS with an existing mapping
          > system such as Maptech's Ocean Navigator or are we better off using
          WinAPRS?

          I'm not familiar with Ocean Navigator or WinAPRS.

          As far as I know most APRS programs interface with the most common
          (land) mapping programs.

          I'm a big fan of UI-View (www.ui-view.com).
          UI-View costs $15 for the full version sadly the author Roger, G4IDE
          passed away September 9th. The program however is very well supported
          by the UI-View community.

          If Ocean Navigator allows you to export maps then UI-View can probably
          use them.

          An other option is Xastir (www.xastir.org) Xastir is an open source
          (free) APRS program that supports 124 different map formats and
          several downloadable (free) GIS maps. It can also run on 21+ different
          operating systems.

          In order to track the different ships you don't need to set them up
          with a full-blown TNC. You can use an Open Tracker
          (http://n1vg.net/opentracker/) to track the ships.
          The Open Tracker is an open source variant to the TinyTrak by Byonics
          (http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/).

          As you can tell I'm a big fan of open source projects like Xastir and
          the Open Tracker and Opentrac (http://www.opentrac.org/) especially in
          our radio hobby.

          YIS,

          Sjaak