Updated BSA Radio Merit Badge Materials In Files Area

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24, 2004
      JOTA is an ideal time to get Boy Scouts interested in Radio Merit
      Badge. So after the Scouts speak on the radio and write down the
      details of their contact, make sure that they know they they just
      completed two requirements of Radio Merit Badge. Then let them know
      when you'll be offering a class to help them finish the badge! It's
      easy to do with the Powerpoint Slides and workbooks in the files
      area of the ScoutRadio group on www.yahoogroups.com

      I've made some slight revisions (mostly shortening and reordering
      some slides) in the PowerPoint Slides and workbooks based on my
      experience teaching the MB at Ockanickon Scout Reservation this past
      summer. These updated presentations and workbooks are available now
      in the files area of this Yahoo group.

      Each module provides PowerPoint slides for a one hour class, three
      of which are needed to cover all of the material. The accompanying
      workbook in MicroSoft Word makes it easy for the Scouts to take
      notes. In a large class, it also makes it easy for the instructor
      to know that each boy has completed each requirement.

      The course could be offered as a half day event, three evenings at
      Scout camp, or at three troop meetings. The fourth hour would be a
      visit to ham station and an on the air contact. This obviously
      could be done by participation in Field Day.

      So have fun and let me know how you make out.

      Good Scouting & 73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Mercer Area District
      Central New Jersey Council, BSA
    • James Mahoney
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 25, 2004
        Gary:

        I just downloaded the materials and they are excellent!

        I will be putting together a class for our troop which I hope we can
        tie into this year's JOTA. Thanks for getting this material together.

        YIS

        Jim Mahoney
        KB3BYU
        ASM Troop 107 Allentown, PA

        On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:54:17 -0000 "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> writes:
        > JOTA is an ideal time to get Boy Scouts interested in Radio Merit
        > Badge. So after the Scouts speak on the radio and write down the
        > details of their contact, make sure that they know they they just
        > completed two requirements of Radio Merit Badge. Then let them know
        >
        > when you'll be offering a class to help them finish the badge! It's
        >
        > easy to do with the Powerpoint Slides and workbooks in the files
        > area of the ScoutRadio group on www.yahoogroups.com
        >
        > I've made some slight revisions (mostly shortening and reordering
        > some slides) in the PowerPoint Slides and workbooks based on my
        > experience teaching the MB at Ockanickon Scout Reservation this past
        >
        > summer. These updated presentations and workbooks are available now
        >
        > in the files area of this Yahoo group.
        >
        > Each module provides PowerPoint slides for a one hour class, three
        > of which are needed to cover all of the material. The accompanying
        > workbook in MicroSoft Word makes it easy for the Scouts to take
        > notes. In a large class, it also makes it easy for the instructor
        > to know that each boy has completed each requirement.
        >
        > The course could be offered as a half day event, three evenings at
        > Scout camp, or at three troop meetings. The fourth hour would be a
        >
        > visit to ham station and an on the air contact. This obviously
        > could be done by participation in Field Day.
        >
        > So have fun and let me know how you make out.
        >
        > Good Scouting & 73
        >
        > Gary Wilson, K2GW
        > Mercer Area District
        > Central New Jersey Council, BSA

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        > Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
        > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
        >
        > ScoutRadio start page:
        >
        > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Get your name as your email address.
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2004
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, James Mahoney <jamesmahoney@j...>
          wrote:
          > I just downloaded the materials and they are excellent!
          >
          > I will be putting together a class for our troop which I hope we
          can
          > tie into this year's JOTA. Thanks for getting this material
          together.

          I'm glad you found them useful. Thanks for offering Radio MB to
          your local Scouts!

          They've really had a number of authors over the years as parts were
          taken from different presentations. So I'm really more of an editor
          at this point.

          One thing I still need to do is to make an accompanying list of
          visual aids for the instructor to bring. This makes the class more
          than just a lecture and thus keeps the boys interest.

          These would include:

          a white board or flip chart and markers
          a spectrum chart
          a dozen different electronic components to pass around
          a code practice oscillator for demoing CW
          a receiver to hear WWV, etc.
          QSL cards
          a small radio with it's circuit diagram
          a bulb, battery and wire to show an open and closed ciruit.
          A map of the US showing call areas.
          An HT, Mobile radio and HF Base station.

          Other suggestions would be appreciated

          At KB3BOY at Ockanickon Scout Reservation, where I normally teach
          Radio MB, I blessed with having all of these things normally
          available.

          Best of luck in Allentown. I went to Lehigh University in Bethlehem
          where W3LPB was one of my Elmers, so I'm kind of an ex-neighbor.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Martin A. Flynn
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2004
            My Sea Scout Ship helps out with several events a year on the North &
            Hudson Rivers. NY ARES puts an operator on board as a backup communicator
            (the VHF marine channels can be unusable to basic overload & bad
            operators) We were contemplating the idea of using APRS to see where all
            the assist boats are.

            I was considering the MFJ-8621 & MFJ-1270 to start with, and if the 8621
            won't cut it, I have a 110 Watt Syntor as a second choice. Antenna wise, I
            think we are OK with an RFS Cellwave BA1010 antenna already
            mounted. Position info can be obtained from the existing GPS & heading
            sensors.

            Sanity Check time: Has anyone interfaced APRS with an existing mapping
            system such as Maptech's Ocean Navigator or are we better off using WinAPRS?

            Martin A. Flynn
            Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
            M/V Seahorse
            http://ship243.org
            ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
            ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==
          • Sjaak van Dam
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
              Hi Martin,

              > My Sea Scout Ship helps out with several events a year on the North &
              > Hudson Rivers. NY ARES puts an operator on board as a backup
              communicator
              --8<--cut---8<---cut---8<---

              > Sanity Check time: Has anyone interfaced APRS with an existing mapping
              > system such as Maptech's Ocean Navigator or are we better off using
              WinAPRS?

              I'm not familiar with Ocean Navigator or WinAPRS.

              As far as I know most APRS programs interface with the most common
              (land) mapping programs.

              I'm a big fan of UI-View (www.ui-view.com).
              UI-View costs $15 for the full version sadly the author Roger, G4IDE
              passed away September 9th. The program however is very well supported
              by the UI-View community.

              If Ocean Navigator allows you to export maps then UI-View can probably
              use them.

              An other option is Xastir (www.xastir.org) Xastir is an open source
              (free) APRS program that supports 124 different map formats and
              several downloadable (free) GIS maps. It can also run on 21+ different
              operating systems.

              In order to track the different ships you don't need to set them up
              with a full-blown TNC. You can use an Open Tracker
              (http://n1vg.net/opentracker/) to track the ships.
              The Open Tracker is an open source variant to the TinyTrak by Byonics
              (http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/).

              As you can tell I'm a big fan of open source projects like Xastir and
              the Open Tracker and Opentrac (http://www.opentrac.org/) especially in
              our radio hobby.

              YIS,

              Sjaak