Re: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 507

  • k2gw@arrl.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2004
      Alan:

      You wrote:

      >>This this post 9/11 world it has been decided that all USA EARTH
      ORBITING satellites must be protected (from terrorists?). So ALL TLE(keps)
      beginning in October will not be posted in the public domain by NORAD.

      This might be a tempest in a teapot. I don't think anyone feels the satellites are in danger of atack. If you go to the web site you mentioned, the data will still be available but in a different format. The site was concerned because they don't know the new format yet.

      I suspect since the bulk of our military photo and electronic reconnaisance is now via satellite, there is a legimate concern about letting adversaries know when the recon birds will be overhead. A predictable view time is the major weakness of sat recon versus aerial platforms. "Hide the trucks and don't use the cell phone from 0123 to 0137"

      I'll bet you a dollar that data for amateur communications packages on comercial satellites on will still be available in some format. But, since we are at war, I think security concerns are more important than our own playing with satellites if a choice has to be made.

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Lt Colonel, USAFR (Ret)