Re: looking for folks in the DFW area from W5ETM

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2004
      I'd love to share tips, stories and tips related to merging
      Venturing/Scouting, Amateur Radio and Emergency Service.

      When I started Venture Crew 800 (California Inland Empire Council) 2
      years ago, our stated purpose was an amateur radio emergency service
      emphasis. However, being youth led, the crew has gravitated more to
      high adventure activities like camping, hiking and supporting other
      scouting units. But they still are aware of their "roots".

      This year I challenged them to earn the Bronze Award (Arts &
      Hobbies) where I modified the requirements to incorporate various
      emergency service and amateur radio requirements. Earn (or upgrade)
      an FCC amateur radio license. Complete the Amateur Radio Emergency
      Communications Course. Complete a number of the FEMA-EMI Courses,
      (ICS, HazMat, HazWeather, Emergency USA, etc.). One Venturer is
      taking the FEMA Professional Development Series as part of her
      personal development goals for the GOLD award. Hopefully, this
      challenge will redirect some of their energies. (But, they ARE
      teenagers who are subject to school / peer pressure / hormones and
      changing interests....)

      So far, since January as a crew they have:
      Completed Red Cross First Aid / CPR
      Completed the "When Help is Delayed" first aid module
      Completed the Sports Safety course (yet, another First Aid Course)
      Supported the local Cub Scout Pack's Pinewood Derby
      Supported the San Bernardino Police Department's running team with
      Communications and Logisgtics Support during the "Baker to Vegas"
      law enforcement relay race.
      Participated in "Field Day" with our charter organization (Yucaipa
      Valley Amateur Radio Club).
      Completed the Venture Leadership Skills Course
      Right now between 2 to 4 (Depending on schedule) members of Crew 800
      are working as councilors at one of the the council's summer camps.

      Next month we have a Technician Course scheduled and a back packing
      trip (BUT, with the high fire danger in So California the National
      Forest may be closed.)

      I am currently negotiating with a neighboring fire department to
      provide CERT training to the crew during their next class for RACES
      members. Next year we're attempting to get a Wilderness First Aid /
      First Responder course set up. However, they are quite limited in
      our area and very expensive.

      Since I've already started a Venturing Crew, for my woodbadge
      ticket, I'm going to see about starting an Amateur Radio Group
      within our Council to share ideas and to coordinate of amateur radio
      and Scouting activities in our area.

      Our website is http://groups.msn.com/venturecrew800

      73
      Charles Kinnear, KD6RXY
      Advisor - Venturing Crew 800
      Yucaipa, California
    • Frank Krizan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 26, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        I'm Advisor for Venturing Crew 73 in Richardson, TX (North Trail District, Circle Ten Council).  If I can be of service as a resource, I'd like to help.  I am Station Manager for K2BSA at Camp Wisdom. Perhaps our Crews can do some joint things sometime.  If you and your Crew would like to help with JOTA, let me know.

        Contact me directly at frank@...

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX