looking for folks in the DFW area from W5ETM

  • Ed and Paula McGinley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2004
      I am looking for folks in the Fort Worth TX area who are interested
      in starting a radio venture crew involved with emergency
      communications, public service communications, ARES work. We have a
      potential sponsor just need to drum up interest. Anyone interested
      please post a message here or send me an email at W5ETM@...

      Thanks

      ED, W5ETM
    • davifish@bellsouth.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2004
          I'd love to share tips, stories and tips related to merging
          Venturing/Scouting, Amateur Radio and Emergency Service.

          When I started Venture Crew 800 (California Inland Empire Council) 2
          years ago, our stated purpose was an amateur radio emergency service
          emphasis. However, being youth led, the crew has gravitated more to
          high adventure activities like camping, hiking and supporting other
          scouting units. But they still are aware of their "roots".

          This year I challenged them to earn the Bronze Award (Arts &
          Hobbies) where I modified the requirements to incorporate various
          emergency service and amateur radio requirements. Earn (or upgrade)
          an FCC amateur radio license. Complete the Amateur Radio Emergency
          Communications Course. Complete a number of the FEMA-EMI Courses,
          (ICS, HazMat, HazWeather, Emergency USA, etc.). One Venturer is
          taking the FEMA Professional Development Series as part of her
          personal development goals for the GOLD award. Hopefully, this
          challenge will redirect some of their energies. (But, they ARE
          teenagers who are subject to school / peer pressure / hormones and
          changing interests....)

          So far, since January as a crew they have:
          Completed Red Cross First Aid / CPR
          Completed the "When Help is Delayed" first aid module
          Completed the Sports Safety course (yet, another First Aid Course)
          Supported the local Cub Scout Pack's Pinewood Derby
          Supported the San Bernardino Police Department's running team with
          Communications and Logisgtics Support during the "Baker to Vegas"
          law enforcement relay race.
          Participated in "Field Day" with our charter organization (Yucaipa
          Valley Amateur Radio Club).
          Completed the Venture Leadership Skills Course
          Right now between 2 to 4 (Depending on schedule) members of Crew 800
          are working as councilors at one of the the council's summer camps.

          Next month we have a Technician Course scheduled and a back packing
          trip (BUT, with the high fire danger in So California the National
          Forest may be closed.)

          I am currently negotiating with a neighboring fire department to
          provide CERT training to the crew during their next class for RACES
          members. Next year we're attempting to get a Wilderness First Aid /
          First Responder course set up. However, they are quite limited in
          our area and very expensive.

          Since I've already started a Venturing Crew, for my woodbadge
          ticket, I'm going to see about starting an Amateur Radio Group
          within our Council to share ideas and to coordinate of amateur radio
          and Scouting activities in our area.

          Our website is http://groups.msn.com/venturecrew800

          73
          Charles Kinnear, KD6RXY
          Advisor - Venturing Crew 800
          Yucaipa, California
        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 26, 2004
            Hi Ed,

            I'm Advisor for Venturing Crew 73 in Richardson, TX (North Trail District, Circle Ten Council).  If I can be of service as a resource, I'd like to help.  I am Station Manager for K2BSA at Camp Wisdom. Perhaps our Crews can do some joint things sometime.  If you and your Crew would like to help with JOTA, let me know.

            Contact me directly at frank@...

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX