Re: K2BSA Traffic @ Jamboree

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27 6:20 PM
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Brian Cieslak <k9wis@y...> wrote:

      > This is good information guys..Do the scouts know
      > which sub camp they will be in before they get there?

      I think you missed my message where I stated that the Jamboree
      subcamp is actually the high order digit(s) in the
      special Jamboree troop numbers assigned to each contingent. A scout
      certainly knows his Jamboree Troop number well before he leaves!

      So if a Scout is in Jamboree Troop 612, his subcamp is 6. If he's in
      Jamboree Troop 1563, his subcamp is 15, etc. Each subcamp has less
      than 100 Jamboree Troops.

      > Can you give me an example of a sub camp name?

      They all have a number such as 1, 15 , etc. They sometimes have a
      secondary name that relates to that year's theme, but it's
      superfluous.

      > I imagine that a message to the Jamboree would be
      > addressed to
      >
      > <scouts name> AR
      > <troop number> AR
      > <subcamp> AR
      > Fort AP Hill, Va. BT

      Don't forget zipcode is needed for NTS messages via packet.

      I'd suggest this instead from an actual snail mail I sent to my son:

      > Joe Scout
      > Troop <number> Subcamp <number>
      > BSA Jamboree
      , Bowling Green, VA 22428-

      The critical thing is that the parents know to use the *Jamboree*
      Troop number, not the Scout's normal home troop number, which is
      totally useless at the Jamboree.

      For example, although my son's home troop number was 63, when my son
      attended the 1997 BSA National Jamboree, he was in Jamboree Troop
      411. Not coincidentally, Jamboree Troop 411 was located in site 11
      of subcamp 4. And his full mailing zipcode was 22428-0411, so the
      subcamp and troop number were also in the zip plus four!

      73

      Gary, K2GW