Re: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 479

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
      >>> k2gw@... 3/21/04 9:32:34 AM >>>
      >The critical thing is a good tower, rotor and triband beam
      >for solid contacts on twenty meters during the days at
      >summer camp. ...

      I donno... I've been a ham for 45 years now and
      still haven't gotten my act together to put up such an
      excellent station... I think kids would be more
      impessed with what you can do with just a radio and
      a piece of wire...

      Not only is it a "come-as-you-are" kind of station
      that "anyone-can-do"... but it also shows the
      portability and versatility of radio and how it can rapidly
      allow communications from anywhere at anytime...

      such as scout camp...

      de WB4APR, Bob
    • Johnnie Wimpee
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
        OA and Wood Badge ticket items can be performed at BSA facilities.

        johnnie wimpee

        Dan Fisher <davifish@...> wrote:
        I wasn't aware of that. How 'bout OA ordeal projects, or Wood Badge
        ticket items?

        73,
        Dan KG4SDJ

        Richard A. Blank wrote:

        > Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.
        >
        > -Rick
        > Advancement Chairman
        > Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA
        >
        > Dan Fisher wrote:
        >
        > > Something Rick said caught my attention. "...and have the scouts help
        > > design,
        > > build, and erect some wire antennae each year.  The kids then learn they
        > > can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
        > > get to see how well their efforts pay off." What an idea for Eagle
        > > projects from time to time! I think sometimes we get into the mindset
        > > that *WE* have to provide for *THEM*, instead of we helping them provide
        > > for themselves. Granted, you don't necessarily want teenaged Scouts
        > > climbing towers and so forth, but an Eagle project involves the
        > > candidate managing the project, not necessarily doing it.
        > >
        > > My $0.02  :-)
        > >
        > > 73, de
        > > Dan KG4SDJ
        > >
        > > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
        > >
        > > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
        > >
        > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
        > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
        > >
        > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
        > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
        > >
        > > Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot;
        > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
        > >
        > > ScoutRadio start page:
        > >
        > > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        > Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot; http://www.natworld.com/ars/
        >
        > ScoutRadio start page:
        >
        > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cfmn0o0/M=268585.4521611.5694062.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1079991398/A=1950447/R=0/SIG=1245hvqf1/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4521611&yhad=1950447>

        >     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
          And ... let's not forget Girl Scout camps ... great place for Eagle
          Projects. Girl Scouts really enjoy amateur radio.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX

          > OA and Wood Badge ticket items can be performed at BSA facilities.
          >
          > johnnie wimpee
          >
          > Dan Fisher <davifish@...> wrote:
          > I wasn't aware of that. How 'bout OA ordeal projects, or Wood Badge
          > ticket items?
          >
          > 73,
          > Dan KG4SDJ
          >
          > Richard A. Blank wrote:
          >
          > > Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.
          > >
          > > -Rick
          > > Advancement Chairman
          > > Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA

          <<< Rest of message snipped out >>>