Slightly off topic

  • Martin A. Flynn
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
      Boy Scouts convert school bus to Emergency Operations
      Center www.iwwwp.com/sema/news.htm - 36k

      Martin A. Flynn
      Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
      M/V Seahorse
      http://seascout.net/ship243

      ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
      ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
        >>> k2gw@... 3/21/04 9:32:34 AM >>>
        >The critical thing is a good tower, rotor and triband beam
        >for solid contacts on twenty meters during the days at
        >summer camp. ...

        I donno... I've been a ham for 45 years now and
        still haven't gotten my act together to put up such an
        excellent station... I think kids would be more
        impessed with what you can do with just a radio and
        a piece of wire...

        Not only is it a "come-as-you-are" kind of station
        that "anyone-can-do"... but it also shows the
        portability and versatility of radio and how it can rapidly
        allow communications from anywhere at anytime...

        such as scout camp...

        de WB4APR, Bob
      • Johnnie Wimpee
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
          OA and Wood Badge ticket items can be performed at BSA facilities.

          johnnie wimpee

          Dan Fisher <davifish@...> wrote:
          I wasn't aware of that. How 'bout OA ordeal projects, or Wood Badge
          ticket items?

          73,
          Dan KG4SDJ

          Richard A. Blank wrote:

          > Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.
          >
          > -Rick
          > Advancement Chairman
          > Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA
          >
          > Dan Fisher wrote:
          >
          > > Something Rick said caught my attention. "...and have the scouts help
          > > design,
          > > build, and erect some wire antennae each year.  The kids then learn they
          > > can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
          > > get to see how well their efforts pay off." What an idea for Eagle
          > > projects from time to time! I think sometimes we get into the mindset
          > > that *WE* have to provide for *THEM*, instead of we helping them provide
          > > for themselves. Granted, you don't necessarily want teenaged Scouts
          > > climbing towers and so forth, but an Eagle project involves the
          > > candidate managing the project, not necessarily doing it.
          > >
          > > My $0.02  :-)
          > >
          > > 73, de
          > > Dan KG4SDJ
          > >
          > > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
          > >
          > > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
          > >
          > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
          > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
          > >
          > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
          > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
          > >
          > > Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot;
          > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
          > >
          > > ScoutRadio start page:
          > >
          > > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          > Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot; http://www.natworld.com/ars/
          >
          > ScoutRadio start page:
          >
          > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

          > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cfmn0o0/M=268585.4521611.5694062.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1079991398/A=1950447/R=0/SIG=1245hvqf1/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4521611&yhad=1950447>

          >     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
            And ... let's not forget Girl Scout camps ... great place for Eagle
            Projects. Girl Scouts really enjoy amateur radio.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX

            > OA and Wood Badge ticket items can be performed at BSA facilities.
            >
            > johnnie wimpee
            >
            > Dan Fisher <davifish@...> wrote:
            > I wasn't aware of that. How 'bout OA ordeal projects, or Wood Badge
            > ticket items?
            >
            > 73,
            > Dan KG4SDJ
            >
            > Richard A. Blank wrote:
            >
            > > Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.
            > >
            > > -Rick
            > > Advancement Chairman
            > > Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA

            <<< Rest of message snipped out >>>