Re: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 479

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
      The critical thing is a good tower, rotor and triband beam for solid
      contacts on twenty meters during the days at summer camp. The Scouts (and
      the retirees you usually have them talk to for their ten minute QSO ) need a
      strong transmit and receive signal. If you have a good antenna, hams could
      even bring up their own transceivers if need be. But erecting an antenna is
      something they can't do on their own.

      First rule of radio. Money invested in an antenna goes the furthest.

      73

      Gary, K2GW
      Radio MB Counselor

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
        Hi, Gary.

        There is no doubt that your statements are on the mark with regard to needing a strong transmit and receive signal, but I do
        have to wonder if putting up a tower, rotor, and tri-band beam is sending the wrong signal (no pun intended) to these young
        boys. I do, however, feel your comment that , "... erecting an antenna is something they can't do on their own." is quite off
        the mark, even though I think you meant it to apply to the visiting hams. For my first couple of years as a poor, fledgling
        ham, I used simple wire antennas and verticals to great effect. Though I wasn't into DX'ing, I did work my fair share of DX.
        Later, when I finally got my DXCC, I found that half of my DXCC was done with these fairly simple antennae, even though I had
        finally managed a tower and yagi. (As a matter of fact, having moved too many times, I'm still using mostly wire antennas.)

        For a few years, I volunteered some of my time in the Amateur Radio Education Center at the Discovery Place science museum in
        Charlotte, NC. They have quite a nice station (http://www.w4bfb.org/dplace1.htm), but as I showed it to visitors and scout
        groups, I kept hearing two disappointing refrains: "Gee, this cost SO much!" and "Our homeowner association wouldn't let me put
        up an antenna like this." I finally started bringing in some of my QRP kits, complete with wire antennae to show people you
        don't need kilobucks, kilowatts, or kilograms of aluminum to have fun and learn a bit about electronics. That worked, as some
        of the people finally started asking for more information on licensing and a couple actually followed through.

        Nowadays, when you typically purchase well-made commercially-built transceivers for a lot less than you could dream of a decade
        or so ago, it's easy to forget the real first rule of radio: "If you can't hear them, you can't work them. Put your money in
        the best receiver you can buy." The second rule of radio is: "Put your money in a better antenna before you put it in an
        amplifier. Antennae work for both transmit and receive." But please note that "better antenna" doesn't always mean a
        multi-band beam on a tall tower.

        I'd suggest Jeff spend the money to get some good transceivers with an emphasis on the receiver (but not necessarily the latest
        gee-whiz-bang contesting-grade superstation) of a reasonable cost and moderate complexity, and have the scouts help design,
        build, and erect some wire antennae each year. The kids then learn they can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
        get to see how well their efforts pay off. And, when Old Man Winter takes his toll, no one has to fret about the cleanup.
        Remember, if we REALLY want to get these kids interested, we MUST convince them it's not only fun, but something their parents
        won't disapprove of because of the cost or aesthetics.

        Have fun, and see you on the air!

        Rick Hampton, WD8KEL

      • Dan Fisher
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
          Something Rick said caught my attention. "...and have the scouts help
          design,
          build, and erect some wire antennae each year. The kids then learn they
          can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
          get to see how well their efforts pay off." What an idea for Eagle
          projects from time to time! I think sometimes we get into the mindset
          that *WE* have to provide for *THEM*, instead of we helping them provide
          for themselves. Granted, you don't necessarily want teenaged Scouts
          climbing towers and so forth, but an Eagle project involves the
          candidate managing the project, not necessarily doing it.

          My $0.02 :-)

          73, de
          Dan KG4SDJ
        • Richard A. Blank
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
            You do not need a tower. K3BSA, a permanent Scout camp amateur radio station has used dipole antenna's for years. We have
            achieved, 5 band WAS, WAZ, DXCC, WAC, since we were granted the K3BSA callsign in 1996. Not to mention the various other
            awards. All of the contacts that we make are using dipole antenna's.

            View the K3BSA website and take the Station Tour at http://www.k3bsa.org

            Rick

          • Richard A. Blank
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
              Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.

              -Rick
              Advancement Chairman
              Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA

              Dan Fisher wrote:

              > Something Rick said caught my attention. "...and have the scouts help
              > design,
              > build, and erect some wire antennae each year. The kids then learn they
              > can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
              > get to see how well their efforts pay off." What an idea for Eagle
              > projects from time to time! I think sometimes we get into the mindset
              > that *WE* have to provide for *THEM*, instead of we helping them provide
              > for themselves. Granted, you don't necessarily want teenaged Scouts
              > climbing towers and so forth, but an Eagle project involves the
              > candidate managing the project, not necessarily doing it.
              >
              > My $0.02 :-)
              >
              > 73, de
              > Dan KG4SDJ

              > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

              > ScoutRadio start page:
              >
              > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dan Fisher
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
                I wasn't aware of that. How 'bout OA ordeal projects, or Wood Badge
                ticket items?

                73,
                Dan KG4SDJ

                Richard A. Blank wrote:

                > Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.
                >
                > -Rick
                > Advancement Chairman
                > Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA
                >
                > Dan Fisher wrote:
                >
                > > Something Rick said caught my attention. "...and have the scouts help
                > > design,
                > > build, and erect some wire antennae each year. The kids then learn they
                > > can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
                > > get to see how well their efforts pay off." What an idea for Eagle
                > > projects from time to time! I think sometimes we get into the mindset
                > > that *WE* have to provide for *THEM*, instead of we helping them provide
                > > for themselves. Granted, you don't necessarily want teenaged Scouts
                > > climbing towers and so forth, but an Eagle project involves the
                > > candidate managing the project, not necessarily doing it.
                > >
                > > My $0.02 :-)
                > >
                > > 73, de
                > > Dan KG4SDJ
                > >
                > > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
                > >
                > > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
                > >
                > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
                > >
                > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
                > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
                > >
                > > Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
                > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                > >
                > > ScoutRadio start page:
                > >
                > > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                > ScoutRadio start page:
                >
                > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cfmn0o0/M=268585.4521611.5694062.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1079991398/A=1950447/R=0/SIG=1245hvqf1/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4521611&yhad=1950447>

              • Bill Stewart
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
                  OA ordeal's are done frequently at Scout Camps as well as Wood Badge ticket items. But, don't dump it as an eagle project. You can't do it at a
                  Scout Camp but you can do it elsewhere.

                  Bill Stewart, Venturing Crew 80, Wood Badge Fox patrol class 82-66, OA member Amagamek Wipit Lodge 470

                  Dan Fisher wrote:

                  Something Rick said caught my attention. "...and have the scouts help
                  design,
                  build, and erect some wire antennae each year.  The kids then learn they
                  can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
                  get to see how well their efforts pay off." What an idea for Eagle
                  projects from time to time! I think sometimes we get into the mindset
                  that *WE* have to provide for *THEM*, instead of we helping them provide
                  for themselves. Granted, you don't necessarily want teenaged Scouts
                  climbing towers and so forth, but an Eagle project involves the
                  candidate managing the project, not necessarily doing it.

                  My $0.02  :-)

                  73, de
                  Dan KG4SDJ

                  Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them

                  Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot;

                  http://www.natworld.com/ars/

                  email addresses - change your subscription details, etc.)

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
                  subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

                  email addresses - change your subscription details, etc.)

                  *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cfmn0o0/M=268585.4521611.5694062.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1079991398/A=1950447/R=0/SIG=1245hvqf1/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4521611&yhad=1950447>

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Richard A. Blank
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
                    The difference is, that the Eagle Project must be done for an organization or community that is outside of Scouting. OA Projects are done at Scout Camps and should be, Woodbadge is training and some folks have
                    done ticket items at Scout Camps, these are both OK.

                    -Rick

                  • Martin A. Flynn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
                      Boy Scouts convert school bus to Emergency Operations
                      Center www.iwwwp.com/sema/news.htm - 36k

                      Martin A. Flynn
                      Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
                      M/V Seahorse
                      http://seascout.net/ship243

                      ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
                      ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==
                    • Robert Bruninga
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 22, 2004
                        >>> k2gw@... 3/21/04 9:32:34 AM >>>
                        >The critical thing is a good tower, rotor and triband beam
                        >for solid contacts on twenty meters during the days at
                        >summer camp. ...

                        I donno... I've been a ham for 45 years now and
                        still haven't gotten my act together to put up such an
                        excellent station... I think kids would be more
                        impessed with what you can do with just a radio and
                        a piece of wire...

                        Not only is it a "come-as-you-are" kind of station
                        that "anyone-can-do"... but it also shows the
                        portability and versatility of radio and how it can rapidly
                        allow communications from anywhere at anytime...

                        such as scout camp...

                        de WB4APR, Bob
                      • Johnnie Wimpee
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
                          OA and Wood Badge ticket items can be performed at BSA facilities.

                          johnnie wimpee

                          Richard A. Blank wrote:

                          > Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.
                          >
                          > -Rick
                          > Advancement Chairman
                          > Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA
                          >
                          > Dan Fisher wrote:
                          >
                          > > Something Rick said caught my attention. "...and have the scouts help
                          > > design,
                          > > build, and erect some wire antennae each year.  The kids then learn they
                          > > can build stuff to help defray the costs and then they
                          > > get to see how well their efforts pay off." What an idea for Eagle
                          > > projects from time to time! I think sometimes we get into the mindset
                          > > that *WE* have to provide for *THEM*, instead of we helping them provide
                          > > for themselves. Granted, you don't necessarily want teenaged Scouts
                          > > climbing towers and so forth, but an Eagle project involves the
                          > > candidate managing the project, not necessarily doing it.
                          > >
                          > > My $0.02  :-)
                          > >
                          > > 73, de
                          > > Dan KG4SDJ
                          > >
                          > > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
                          > >
                          > > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
                          > >
                          > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                          > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
                          > >
                          > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
                          > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml
                          > >
                          > > Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot;
                          > http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                          > >
                          > > ScoutRadio start page:
                          > >
                          > > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                          > Visit the &quot;Adventure Radio Society&quot; http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                          >
                          > ScoutRadio start page:
                          >
                          > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                          > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cfmn0o0/M=268585.4521611.5694062.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1079991398/A=1950447/R=0/SIG=1245hvqf1/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4521611&yhad=1950447>

                          >     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                          Do you Yahoo!?

                        • Frank Krizan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
                            And ... let's not forget Girl Scout camps ... great place for Eagle
                            Projects. Girl Scouts really enjoy amateur radio.

                            73, Frank KR1ZAN
                            Garland, TX

                            > OA and Wood Badge ticket items can be performed at BSA facilities.
                            >
                            > johnnie wimpee
                            >
                            > Dan Fisher <davifish@...> wrote:
                            > I wasn't aware of that. How 'bout OA ordeal projects, or Wood Badge
                            > ticket items?
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Dan KG4SDJ
                            >
                            > Richard A. Blank wrote:
                            >
                            > > Eagle projects can not be done at a Boy Scout Camp.
                            > >
                            > > -Rick
                            > > Advancement Chairman
                            > > Conestoga District, Cradle of Liberty Council, BSA

                            <<< Rest of message snipped out >>>