Re: [Scoutradio] Ideal Camp Station?

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2004
      >>> jeff_yahoo@... 3/20/04 2:35:12 PM >>>
      >
      >My Council was given an amateur radio station...
      >If you had a budget of $2000 to spend on a radio station
      >for a Scout camp what would you get and why?

      I would first purchase a dozen FRS walkie-talkie
      radios ($15 each = $180). Then use them to teach radio
      technique, callsigns and radio procedure. Then set up
      challenging games to use them like Radio CLUE:

      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/conflagration.html

      Or FRSnight: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsnight.html

      Or DFing using the body block or Fade-Circle Technique.
      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html
      On this web page, ignore the APRS part of it and just learn
      how any OMNI antenna and radio can be used with the
      techniques shown.

      Invest mostly in Antennas, Power system and infrastructure.
      Depend on individuals to bring their own gear to use while
      they are in camp.

      Also BUILD A BIG SIGN for the Message hall where each
      HAM in camp can leave his QSL card and a pointer to
      his campsite if he is operating from there. This advertises
      RADIO. Establish FRS channel 7 tone 3 as the FRS
      channel for HAM-wannabee's to hang out so they can
      stay informed of what is going on in camp...

      See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

      de WB4APR, Bob
    • jeff_yahoo@burnshome.org
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004
        Thanks to everyone who contributed their ideas about the ideal Scout Camp
        Radio Station. Now I will tell you what I am planning. If you have further
        input it will be appreciated.

        The concept of a portable radio and a simple antenna out in the field is a
        great way to introduce Scouts to Ham radio. I have an Elecraft K2 that I
        have used for Scout demonstrations a few times, and it works great. The
        scouts seem impressed that you can communicate long distances with such a
        simple setup. They are also fascinated with CW. However, at a camp I am
        concerned that a small portable radio could walk off and disappear.
        Permanent antennas can also increase the on air experience, and make winter
        time operations much easer. So I am planning on a base station
        installation, but will keep it simple.

        The plan is to concentrate on HF bands. We have an old 2m FM rig that will
        get into a few repeaters with a simple antenna. I have an old TH-700A 2m
        all-mode for sale on e-bay now. I figure a tower would be needed to make a
        VHF station effective, and think we are better off concentrating our
        resources on a better HF station.

        I have been tempted to put all our money into a tower and beam antennas, but
        have decided to stick with wire antennas for now. A tower and a tri-band
        beam were part of the equipment that was donated, but both need significant
        repair work. New equipment would exceed our budget. I am also concerned
        about long term maintenance costs, and making ham radio seem impossibly
        expensive for youth. My plan is to put up a large horizontal loop and feed
        it with ladder line. We will put a wide-range antenna tuner in the shack.

        We currently have a Kenwood TS-520S HF rig that I hope to replace with
        either a Ten-Tec Jupiter or an Icom 746 Pro. The TS-520S is a nice radio for
        SSB, but the need to tune the finals makes it more difficult to operate than
        I prefer. It is also not a great CW rig. CW may not be that important, but I
        think youth find it interesting so I want the rig to work well for CW. Both
        the Jupiter and 746 Pro are mid-range rigs in both performance and price. I
        like the Jupiter because it looks extremely straightforward to use. Being
        American made is also a plus. The 746 Pro has more features for about the
        same price. If we get our funding I will have a decision to make. Your input
        will be appreciated.

        Thanks for all the help. When the station is up and running, I will report
        back.

        Jeff Burns
        AD9T

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2004
          Jeff,

          When its up and running hopefully you will run an on-air party and we can
          tell you how it sounds from the UK!

          Great plans by the way, start simple and grow as you need to. Don't forget
          to spare lots of time and a little money for the Scout resources side of
          the business - the youngsters need to feel that its "their" station and
          will want to be able to contribute to its running & operation. Get them to
          research the logs, QSLs, posters, MB info etc etc and have it displayed the
          way THEY want to do it. That way they will be dragging their mates in to
          see what they have done. If you have done your job well the adults should
          feel redundant (in the nicest possible way!)

          Good luck

          Malcolm G4CXT

          At 02:43 on 24/03/04, you wrote:
          >Thanks for all the help. When the station is up and running, I will report
          >back.
          >

          >Jeff Burns
          >AD9T
        • Jon Blatman, N3VZG, EMT-B
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004

            Could someone please give me the contact information for K2BSA/4 for the 2005 Jamboree?

            I am intrested in volunteering.

            Jon Blatman
            N3VZG
            EMT-B