Ideal Camp Station?

  • jeff_yahoo@burnshome.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 20, 2004
      My Council was given an amateur radio station from a silent keys
      estate last fall. I am currently working on installing the station
      at our camp. We will have a room in a modular building dedicated to
      the station. The building will be located next to the parking lot
      which is surrounded by large trees.

      I am estimating that if we sold everything but the HF rig, and some
      accessories we could raise $500 in cash. If we sold the HF rig we
      could get another $500. I also anticipate being able to get $1000 in
      donations.

      If you had a budget of $2000 to spend on a radio station for a Scout
      camp what would you get and why? New, used and home brew equipment
      are all acceptable answers.

      I have intentionally not listed the equipment we have because I want
      to know what you would do if starting from scratch. If you really
      want to know what we have, look through the archives of this group.
      I listed the equipment in a posting some time back.

      Jeff Burns
      AD9T
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21, 2004
        >>> jeff_yahoo@... 3/20/04 2:35:12 PM >>>
        >
        >My Council was given an amateur radio station...
        >If you had a budget of $2000 to spend on a radio station
        >for a Scout camp what would you get and why?

        I would first purchase a dozen FRS walkie-talkie
        radios ($15 each = $180). Then use them to teach radio
        technique, callsigns and radio procedure. Then set up
        challenging games to use them like Radio CLUE:

        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/conflagration.html

        Or FRSnight: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/frsnight.html

        Or DFing using the body block or Fade-Circle Technique.
        http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/dfing.html
        On this web page, ignore the APRS part of it and just learn
        how any OMNI antenna and radio can be used with the
        techniques shown.

        Invest mostly in Antennas, Power system and infrastructure.
        Depend on individuals to bring their own gear to use while
        they are in camp.

        Also BUILD A BIG SIGN for the Message hall where each
        HAM in camp can leave his QSL card and a pointer to
        his campsite if he is operating from there. This advertises
        RADIO. Establish FRS channel 7 tone 3 as the FRS
        channel for HAM-wannabee's to hang out so they can
        stay informed of what is going on in camp...

        See http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

        de WB4APR, Bob
      • jeff_yahoo@burnshome.org
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2004
          Thanks to everyone who contributed their ideas about the ideal Scout Camp
          Radio Station. Now I will tell you what I am planning. If you have further
          input it will be appreciated.

          The concept of a portable radio and a simple antenna out in the field is a
          great way to introduce Scouts to Ham radio. I have an Elecraft K2 that I
          have used for Scout demonstrations a few times, and it works great. The
          scouts seem impressed that you can communicate long distances with such a
          simple setup. They are also fascinated with CW. However, at a camp I am
          concerned that a small portable radio could walk off and disappear.
          Permanent antennas can also increase the on air experience, and make winter
          time operations much easer. So I am planning on a base station
          installation, but will keep it simple.

          The plan is to concentrate on HF bands. We have an old 2m FM rig that will
          get into a few repeaters with a simple antenna. I have an old TH-700A 2m
          all-mode for sale on e-bay now. I figure a tower would be needed to make a
          VHF station effective, and think we are better off concentrating our
          resources on a better HF station.

          I have been tempted to put all our money into a tower and beam antennas, but
          have decided to stick with wire antennas for now. A tower and a tri-band
          beam were part of the equipment that was donated, but both need significant
          repair work. New equipment would exceed our budget. I am also concerned
          about long term maintenance costs, and making ham radio seem impossibly
          expensive for youth. My plan is to put up a large horizontal loop and feed
          it with ladder line. We will put a wide-range antenna tuner in the shack.

          We currently have a Kenwood TS-520S HF rig that I hope to replace with
          either a Ten-Tec Jupiter or an Icom 746 Pro. The TS-520S is a nice radio for
          SSB, but the need to tune the finals makes it more difficult to operate than
          I prefer. It is also not a great CW rig. CW may not be that important, but I
          think youth find it interesting so I want the rig to work well for CW. Both
          the Jupiter and 746 Pro are mid-range rigs in both performance and price. I
          like the Jupiter because it looks extremely straightforward to use. Being
          American made is also a plus. The 746 Pro has more features for about the
          same price. If we get our funding I will have a decision to make. Your input
          will be appreciated.

          Thanks for all the help. When the station is up and running, I will report
          back.

          Jeff Burns
          AD9T

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Malcolm - G4CXT
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2004
            Jeff,

            When its up and running hopefully you will run an on-air party and we can
            tell you how it sounds from the UK!

            Great plans by the way, start simple and grow as you need to. Don't forget
            to spare lots of time and a little money for the Scout resources side of
            the business - the youngsters need to feel that its "their" station and
            will want to be able to contribute to its running & operation. Get them to
            research the logs, QSLs, posters, MB info etc etc and have it displayed the
            way THEY want to do it. That way they will be dragging their mates in to
            see what they have done. If you have done your job well the adults should
            feel redundant (in the nicest possible way!)

            Good luck

            Malcolm G4CXT

            At 02:43 on 24/03/04, you wrote:
            >Thanks for all the help. When the station is up and running, I will report
            >back.
            >

            >Jeff Burns
            >AD9T
          • Jon Blatman, N3VZG, EMT-B
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004

              Could someone please give me the contact information for K2BSA/4 for the 2005 Jamboree?

              I am intrested in volunteering.

              Jon Blatman
              N3VZG
              EMT-B