Re: [Scoutradio] Radio badge for Girl Scouts?

  • kimbare
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2004
      There is a gs/patch to be earned...the requirements are on the arrl web site....all the girls in my troop and several nearby troops earned it ..we did it at JOTA...

      Alun wrote:
      I am in the process of applying to become a radio merit badge
      counsellor, my son having just this week gone up from cub scouts to
      boy scouts. I am an Extra class VE, with 24 years as a ham, a BSEE,
      and experience teaching classes for ham radio tests. I already have
      the book and know the requirements. I also have a daughter who is a
      Brownie, and my XYL is her Brownie leader and has a no-code Technician
      licence.

      Someone already asked my XYL if I could be a counselor for the radio
      merit badge at a joint boy/girl scout camp. These would be boy scouts
      and girl scouts from a different district a couple of counties North
      of us, and the camp is in the next county to our South. My XYL and I
      might both go and would bring our own children, but I don't know that
      any local units would be there.

      What bothers me is that the girl scouts Radio & TV badge was
      apparently discontinued in 1980. It doesn't look like the girls could
      get a patch, which seems very unfair. Maybe the people organising the
      camp have thought of this? Could the girl scouts get a communicator
      badge? What are the requirements?

      73 de Alun, N3KIP