Re: [Scoutradio] Radio badge for Girl Scouts?

  • Rick Hampton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2004
      Hi, Alun.

      Don't despair. Even though there isn't an official badge program from the National office, there IS a program the local
      Councils can adopt.

      You first need to go to the League's Scouting Activities section of their website at: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/#scout.
      You should be able to find all the information you need for any age/gender of scout. As for for the actual patches for the
      girls, Arline Berry, W1LIO, put together the patch program and you can get the patches directly from her.

      Have fun!

      Rick, WD8KEL

      Alun wrote:

      > I am in the process of applying to become a radio merit badge
      > counsellor, my son having just this week gone up from cub scouts to
      > boy scouts. I am an Extra class VE, with 24 years as a ham, a BSEE,
      > and experience teaching classes for ham radio tests. I already have
      > the book and know the requirements. I also have a daughter who is a
      > Brownie, and my XYL is her Brownie leader and has a no-code Technician
      > licence.
      >
      > Someone already asked my XYL if I could be a counselor for the radio
      > merit badge at a joint boy/girl scout camp. These would be boy scouts
      > and girl scouts from a different district a couple of counties North
      > of us, and the camp is in the next county to our South. My XYL and I
      > might both go and would bring our own children, but I don't know that
      > any local units would be there.
      >
      > What bothers me is that the girl scouts Radio & TV badge was
      > apparently discontinued in 1980. It doesn't look like the girls could
      > get a patch, which seems very unfair. Maybe the people organising the
      > camp have thought of this? Could the girl scouts get a communicator
      > badge? What are the requirements?
      >
      > 73 de Alun, N3KIP
    • kimbare