Re: [Scoutradio] Fox Hunts

  • Max Manghelli - KD7GES
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
      Alan,

      Our Venture Crew uses a PicCon controller from Byonics
      as the controller for our fox. It transmittes CW and
      is real easy to program. You can buy it as a kit or
      assembled. We baught the kit and assembly was a
      breeze. The included instructions are great. It can
      also be remote controled via recieving DTMF tones
      during the event.

      You can find more info about it including manuals and
      photos at:

      http://www.byonics.com/piccon/index.html

      The kit makes a great activity for a Venture Crew or
      Troop.

      Max Manghelli - KD7GES
      Advisor Venture Crew 185 - KD7TSJ
      Oregon Trail Council

      --- Alan Stumpf <aws69@...> wrote:
      > I am looking into building a FM fox hunt transmitter
      > for JOTA. Has anyone
      > seen or have something that plugs into a HT (via the
      > mic input) that keys
      > the radio and either plays a voice ID or MCW.
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Alan Stumpf KB3DHC
      > NHARC JOTA Chairman
      > Greater Pittsburgh Council

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Scott Sarah
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
        Byon Makes GREAT kits I have a TinyTrakIII for my APRS and has great
        customer support also.

        Scott
        KA8S
      • N8VAR
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
          Alan,

          I have built two of the PicCon Controller offered by Byonics. They are
          intelligent controllers that can be programmed and turned off and on
          remotely using DTMF tones from another radio keypad. I've had good luck
          with them. I have two so I can set up two transmitters and let my boys hunt
          for both.

          The URL for Byonics is:

          http://www.byonics.com/

          There are others that are cheaper but none as flexible as this one. It's
          real easy to build and connect to any HT or any transmitter.

          73 es YiS

          Ron, N8VAR

          I am looking into building a FM fox hunt transmitter for JOTA. Has anyone
          seen or have something that plugs into a HT (via the mic input) that keys
          the radio and either plays a voice ID or MCW.

          73

          Alan Stumpf KB3DHC
          NHARC JOTA Chairman
          Greater Pittsburgh Council

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Max Manghelli - KD7GES
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2004
            I have just added pictures of the Fox I built for use
            by our Venture Crew. You can view them at:

            http://kd7ges.manghelli.net

            Just click on the RDF link on the main page. I also
            plan on adding pictures of the Tape Measure Yagi for
            RDF project that is a fun and inexpensive project for
            a Troop or Crew. (hope to have those up in the next
            week or so).