Fox Hunts

  • Alan Stumpf
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
      I am looking into building a FM fox hunt transmitter for JOTA. Has anyone
      seen or have something that plugs into a HT (via the mic input) that keys
      the radio and either plays a voice ID or MCW.

      73

      Alan Stumpf KB3DHC
      NHARC JOTA Chairman
      Greater Pittsburgh Council
    • Max Manghelli - KD7GES
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
        Alan,

        Our Venture Crew uses a PicCon controller from Byonics
        as the controller for our fox. It transmittes CW and
        is real easy to program. You can buy it as a kit or
        assembled. We baught the kit and assembly was a
        breeze. The included instructions are great. It can
        also be remote controled via recieving DTMF tones
        during the event.

        You can find more info about it including manuals and
        photos at:

        http://www.byonics.com/piccon/index.html

        The kit makes a great activity for a Venture Crew or
        Troop.

        Max Manghelli - KD7GES
        Advisor Venture Crew 185 - KD7TSJ
        Oregon Trail Council

        --- Alan Stumpf <aws69@...> wrote:
        > I am looking into building a FM fox hunt transmitter
        > for JOTA. Has anyone
        > seen or have something that plugs into a HT (via the
        > mic input) that keys
        > the radio and either plays a voice ID or MCW.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Alan Stumpf KB3DHC
        > NHARC JOTA Chairman
        > Greater Pittsburgh Council

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Scott Sarah
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
          Byon Makes GREAT kits I have a TinyTrakIII for my APRS and has great
          customer support also.

          Scott
          KA8S
        • N8VAR
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2004
            Alan,

            I have built two of the PicCon Controller offered by Byonics. They are
            intelligent controllers that can be programmed and turned off and on
            remotely using DTMF tones from another radio keypad. I've had good luck
            with them. I have two so I can set up two transmitters and let my boys hunt
            for both.

            The URL for Byonics is:

            http://www.byonics.com/

            There are others that are cheaper but none as flexible as this one. It's
            real easy to build and connect to any HT or any transmitter.

            73 es YiS

            Ron, N8VAR

            I am looking into building a FM fox hunt transmitter for JOTA. Has anyone
            seen or have something that plugs into a HT (via the mic input) that keys
            the radio and either plays a voice ID or MCW.

            73

            Alan Stumpf KB3DHC
            NHARC JOTA Chairman
            Greater Pittsburgh Council

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Max Manghelli - KD7GES
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2004
              I have just added pictures of the Fox I built for use
              by our Venture Crew. You can view them at:

              http://kd7ges.manghelli.net

              Just click on the RDF link on the main page. I also
              plan on adding pictures of the Tape Measure Yagi for
              RDF project that is a fun and inexpensive project for
              a Troop or Crew. (hope to have those up in the next
              week or so).