Has any district tried Radio MB for a Camporee?

  • Johnnie Wimpee
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2004
      I'll be the 2005 Spring Camporee Chairman for the Manatee district.
      Does anyone have suggestions as to focusing the camporee on the
      Radio, Communication, and Engineering MBs?
      Additional with some pre-camporee effort maybe the scouts attneding
      could take the Tech or even the General class Licence exams.

      All Ideas are welcomed, especially those with successfully doing a
      camporee like this.

      Also if we could provide activities for the Venture Crews it would be
      a bonus.

      Thanks

      Johnnie Wimpee
      CFC Manatee District
    • Wootton William F III CNIN
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
        Johnnie,

        Here are some ideas you might want to talk to your local amateur radio club about helping with:

        A fox hunt using 2 meter transmitters, if you have a large area, like a scout camp.

        A field day station, with HF, UHF and VHF stations for contacts cross country.

        It would be a push to do all of Radio Merit Badge at the camporee, but if you got the info out early
        for the scouts to visit local hams or commercial radio stations it might be possible.

        If you plan on doing Tech or General license exams, you will need a VE team from the local amateur
        radio club and they will have to announce the testing a couple of months in advance of the dates.

        Good luck,

        Bill Wootton, KC9ACL
        Scoutmaster, T-170, Advisor Crew 170
        812-854-3822 (O)