Re: Radio Camp

  • murray_428
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@u...>
      wrote:
      > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
      > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
      > for all coordination. Teach them proper
      > Radio procedures. Plan games around
      > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
      > their break periods. de WB4APR

      Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
      above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
      Joe
      Scoutmaster - Troop 109
      KC2MKS
    • ray@sirois.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
        > I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get > more scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew
        > in the Baltimore, MD area?
        > We seem to be having a hard time locating... ... ...

        My fundamental approach:

        1. I don't primarily hold events where I am
        trying to attract scouts/units/patrols to come to me.
        Rather, I make it a point to have a station or two set up
        at every significant scouting event where scouts
        are already located.

        eg: Last week, there was a big "Scout Show",
        1000 scouts + leaders at a big civic center event.
        We had an HF station, 2m Station, APRS running.
        It attracted a lot of attention among parents and boys.

        eg: Fall Camporee... sometimes the fall camporee
        falls on JOTA weekend, sometimes it does not.
        Either way, have a station set up. If you can't
        get into the rotation of the program. Ask to set
        one up anyway.

        eg: Summer Camps... have a ham radio night
        each week... After doing this for 6 years, we
        finally got a staff member licensed, so now
        they teach Radio MB during the day... We
        still show up once a week for HF night.

        eg: THere is a week of "Winter Camp" this
        week at Camp Hinds. I'm teaching Radio MB
        each night there on my way home from work.
        We get 8-10 Radio MB's this way each year,
        and it plants the seed.

        I read of many other Go-To-Scouts examples
        here on this reflector all the time.

        2. At each of these scouting events
        publicize the courses you might teach for
        actually getting licensed. AND
        If you hold a Radio MB course,
        conduct it for Scouts, Parents, and advertise
        it in papers for the general public as well.
        Get it co-sponsored by the Red Cross or
        something so you draw from several
        community groups. Not just scouts.

        I have no problem getting 12-20 registrants
        aged 10-70 years of age coming together
        to get their license. I hold two classes a
        year... and perhaps in different towns each
        time. My fall course usually involves a
        "Hands-On Saturday" which, by the way,
        happens on JOTA weekend. <wink>

        3. Be a familiar face at Roundtables, and perhaps
        on the District Camping Committees. This
        way you can influence the inclusion of
        Ham Radio at events, and with a little luck,
        you might be able to influence the DATE of
        Fall Camporees to fall on that infamous
        3rd full weekend in October.

        Have a dream. eg If several
        districts all have their fall camporee on
        JOTA weekend, you can score a major
        victory by getting the stations at each
        camporee to work each other!
        (In my experience, this is harder to align
        than the 9 planets of our solar system...
        but dream about the possibilities, and chip
        away at making it happen.)

        4. Sooner or later the community of
        interested or licensed Scouts, Parents, and
        Leaders you grow will be organizing their
        own JOTA events and asking for your help.

        5. There are tons of Den Leaders, Unit Leaders
        who are looking for ideas for their meetings. Let
        them know you can fill one of their vacant spots
        on their schedule with a Ham Radio Demonstration.
        How? Roundtables or Council newsletters.

        In a nutshell: don't ask people to come to us.
        We need to meet them where ever they are
        already at.

        Ray N1RY
        WJ0TA Maine
      • KB3CVS (Tom)
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
          Thank you everyone for the ideas.

          Unfortunately, we've tried most of them, with very little success.

          We'll keep plugging away, but thanks again for the ideas.

          The radio license classes are just about the only thing we haven't
          tried, and there are many radio clubs here in the area, which seem to be
          having a hard time filling their classes as well.

          So far, the Radio Merit Badge has been the most productive for us, and I
          suppose we'll keep working on that as well.

          Thanks again!

          -Tom-

        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 19, 2004
            >>> zano_52@... 2/12/04 1:39:00 PM >>>

            > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
            > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
            > for all coordination. Teach them proper
            > Radio procedures. Plan games around
            > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
            > their break periods. de WB4APR

            Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
            above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
            KC2MKS

            REPLY: Sure, http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/sitemap.html
            slide down till you find KIDS and SCOUTS...

            de WB4APR, Bob

            Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
            subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

            Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
            http://www.natworld.com/ars/

            Yahoo! Groups Links