Re: Radio Camp

  • murray_428
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@u...>
      wrote:
      > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
      > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
      > for all coordination. Teach them proper
      > Radio procedures. Plan games around
      > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
      > their break periods. de WB4APR

      Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
      above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
      Joe
      Scoutmaster - Troop 109
      KC2MKS
    • Martin A. Flynn
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
        Tom,
        Have you considered finding an agency that needs good volunteer help &
        training to their standards? For example, the USCG Auxiliary has an
        excellent watch stander program to assist the USCG with comms
        issues. Steep learning curve involved. Or perhaps FEMA. Again, steep
        learning curve, but worthwhile. All things that can attract youth in your
        "market"

        Another option for field day or JOTA would be to find the local Sea Scout
        Ship & work maritime mobile, either from their boat, or perhaps a historic
        vessel docked in the area. If you wanted to persue this, www.seascout.org
        has a look up function for the nearest Sea Scout Ship.

        My Sea Scout has a bunch of radio gear aboard or training vessel. We have
        HF, various data modes, multiple GPS receivers, VHF public safety & UHF
        public safety radios (with appropriate paperwork), and on board computers
        (Linux & NT). Even with all of the above toys, we have a hard time
        finding other Scout units who want to do JOTA, or field day.

        Martin

        Martin A. Flynn
        Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
        M/V Seahorse
        http://ship243.org

        ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
        ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==

        At 11:43 AM 2/13/04, KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:
        >Greetings!
        >
        >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
        >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
        >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
        >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
        >specializes in.
      • kd5fdw
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
          I went to the USS Massachusetts with my Tiger cub a few years ago.
          They had a radio block where they did some Morse code. In less than
          30 minutes all the scouts were able to send messages with the letters
          E, I, S, H, T, M & O. It was amazing that almost everyone could send
          a few words or a sentence and receive with just those letters.

          I am sure there are better orders to learn the letters..such as the
          Koch method, but this is a way to get 5 wpm Morse code exposure and
          success very quickly.

          David
          nd4su

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
          [snip]
          Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the code.
          [snip]
          Is there any chance of teaching 5 wpm code during the 20
          > or so classroom hours avaialble? The scouts would leave with
          > Electronics and Radio Merit Badges, a working radio, and some would
          > have their tech license. They would have a list of volunteer
          Elmers,
        • ray@sirois.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
            > I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get > more scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew
            > in the Baltimore, MD area?
            > We seem to be having a hard time locating... ... ...

            My fundamental approach:

            1. I don't primarily hold events where I am
            trying to attract scouts/units/patrols to come to me.
            Rather, I make it a point to have a station or two set up
            at every significant scouting event where scouts
            are already located.

            eg: Last week, there was a big "Scout Show",
            1000 scouts + leaders at a big civic center event.
            We had an HF station, 2m Station, APRS running.
            It attracted a lot of attention among parents and boys.

            eg: Fall Camporee... sometimes the fall camporee
            falls on JOTA weekend, sometimes it does not.
            Either way, have a station set up. If you can't
            get into the rotation of the program. Ask to set
            one up anyway.

            eg: Summer Camps... have a ham radio night
            each week... After doing this for 6 years, we
            finally got a staff member licensed, so now
            they teach Radio MB during the day... We
            still show up once a week for HF night.

            eg: THere is a week of "Winter Camp" this
            week at Camp Hinds. I'm teaching Radio MB
            each night there on my way home from work.
            We get 8-10 Radio MB's this way each year,
            and it plants the seed.

            I read of many other Go-To-Scouts examples
            here on this reflector all the time.

            2. At each of these scouting events
            publicize the courses you might teach for
            actually getting licensed. AND
            If you hold a Radio MB course,
            conduct it for Scouts, Parents, and advertise
            it in papers for the general public as well.
            Get it co-sponsored by the Red Cross or
            something so you draw from several
            community groups. Not just scouts.

            I have no problem getting 12-20 registrants
            aged 10-70 years of age coming together
            to get their license. I hold two classes a
            year... and perhaps in different towns each
            time. My fall course usually involves a
            "Hands-On Saturday" which, by the way,
            happens on JOTA weekend. <wink>

            3. Be a familiar face at Roundtables, and perhaps
            on the District Camping Committees. This
            way you can influence the inclusion of
            Ham Radio at events, and with a little luck,
            you might be able to influence the DATE of
            Fall Camporees to fall on that infamous
            3rd full weekend in October.

            Have a dream. eg If several
            districts all have their fall camporee on
            JOTA weekend, you can score a major
            victory by getting the stations at each
            camporee to work each other!
            (In my experience, this is harder to align
            than the 9 planets of our solar system...
            but dream about the possibilities, and chip
            away at making it happen.)

            4. Sooner or later the community of
            interested or licensed Scouts, Parents, and
            Leaders you grow will be organizing their
            own JOTA events and asking for your help.

            5. There are tons of Den Leaders, Unit Leaders
            who are looking for ideas for their meetings. Let
            them know you can fill one of their vacant spots
            on their schedule with a Ham Radio Demonstration.
            How? Roundtables or Council newsletters.

            In a nutshell: don't ask people to come to us.
            We need to meet them where ever they are
            already at.

            Ray N1RY
            WJ0TA Maine
          • KB3CVS (Tom)
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
              Thank you everyone for the ideas.

              Unfortunately, we've tried most of them, with very little success.

              We'll keep plugging away, but thanks again for the ideas.

              The radio license classes are just about the only thing we haven't
              tried, and there are many radio clubs here in the area, which seem to be
              having a hard time filling their classes as well.

              So far, the Radio Merit Badge has been the most productive for us, and I
              suppose we'll keep working on that as well.

              Thanks again!

              -Tom-

            • Robert Bruninga
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 19, 2004
                >>> zano_52@... 2/12/04 1:39:00 PM >>>

                > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
                > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
                > for all coordination. Teach them proper
                > Radio procedures. Plan games around
                > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
                > their break periods. de WB4APR

                Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
                above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
                KC2MKS

                REPLY: Sure, http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/sitemap.html
                slide down till you find KIDS and SCOUTS...

                de WB4APR, Bob

                Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
                subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

                Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
                http://www.natworld.com/ars/

                Yahoo! Groups Links