Re: Radio Camp

  • murray_428
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@u...>
      wrote:
      > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
      > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
      > for all coordination. Teach them proper
      > Radio procedures. Plan games around
      > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
      > their break periods. de WB4APR

      Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
      above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
      Joe
      Scoutmaster - Troop 109
      KC2MKS
    • Tom Sharp
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
        Hello from Arizona,

        Explorer Post 599 has tried different things for Field Day.  We've gone to local clubs FD sites, but found that the youth didn't fit well into the club's intensive FD efforts.  The last few years, we've set up our own FD on the back-porch of a member's cabin in the mountains, and just let the guys have fun.  If they wanted to work hard and go for big scores, great, but if they wanted to sit around and have fun, great.  No pressure.  We had invited others in the past, but now just keep it as a fun weekend for the Post.

        We get the word out about us in many other ways.  We have an info booth at every hamfest.  We're at the Scout-O-Rama.  We try to get to several camporees in the fall.  It's surprising how many camporees are held on JOTA weekend.  We have flyers at our local Ham Radio Outlet and at the Science Center.  And we try to capture any new youth we find on the air.

        The one thing that turned the Post around from "iffy...will it make it" to "active..can't wait to go" has been weekly meetings.  Every Tuesday we have a workshop-type meeting, doing projects, taking stuff apart, getting on the air, etc.  Every fourth Tuesday of the month is our business meeting, where we take care of planning coming events, elections, etc.  In addition to the business portion of the meeting, we have a presentation of some sort.  Last month, US Forest Service came in with their fire and radio gear.  This month we will be planning for our comm role at a weekend long bike rally in March.

        We are currently building a couple of repeaters, making collinear antennas (in Dec we made portable J-poles).  Plus we are helping about five guys get their tech licenses.

        Also, we have a repeater where the youth hang out and can behave as youth.  And an email reflector where we pass info and have fun.  We're helping those that want to build web-pages off our club page (www.post599.org).

        Don't worry about numbers.  We've had as few as five youth and are now about 20 strong.  Just be there and have fun and have things for them to do.

        73

        ---Tom Sharp  WA9OXY
        Explorer Post 599    W7BSA
        Phoenix, AZ
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
          Tom,
          Have you considered finding an agency that needs good volunteer help &
          training to their standards? For example, the USCG Auxiliary has an
          excellent watch stander program to assist the USCG with comms
          issues. Steep learning curve involved. Or perhaps FEMA. Again, steep
          learning curve, but worthwhile. All things that can attract youth in your
          "market"

          Another option for field day or JOTA would be to find the local Sea Scout
          Ship & work maritime mobile, either from their boat, or perhaps a historic
          vessel docked in the area. If you wanted to persue this, www.seascout.org
          has a look up function for the nearest Sea Scout Ship.

          My Sea Scout has a bunch of radio gear aboard or training vessel. We have
          HF, various data modes, multiple GPS receivers, VHF public safety & UHF
          public safety radios (with appropriate paperwork), and on board computers
          (Linux & NT). Even with all of the above toys, we have a hard time
          finding other Scout units who want to do JOTA, or field day.

          Martin

          Martin A. Flynn
          Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
          M/V Seahorse
          http://ship243.org

          ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
          ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==

          At 11:43 AM 2/13/04, KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:
          >Greetings!
          >
          >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
          >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
          >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
          >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
          >specializes in.
        • kd5fdw
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
            I went to the USS Massachusetts with my Tiger cub a few years ago.
            They had a radio block where they did some Morse code. In less than
            30 minutes all the scouts were able to send messages with the letters
            E, I, S, H, T, M & O. It was amazing that almost everyone could send
            a few words or a sentence and receive with just those letters.

            I am sure there are better orders to learn the letters..such as the
            Koch method, but this is a way to get 5 wpm Morse code exposure and
            success very quickly.

            David
            nd4su

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
            [snip]
            Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the code.
            [snip]
            Is there any chance of teaching 5 wpm code during the 20
            > or so classroom hours avaialble? The scouts would leave with
            > Electronics and Radio Merit Badges, a working radio, and some would
            > have their tech license. They would have a list of volunteer
            Elmers,
          • ray@sirois.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
              > I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get > more scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew
              > in the Baltimore, MD area?
              > We seem to be having a hard time locating... ... ...

              My fundamental approach:

              1. I don't primarily hold events where I am
              trying to attract scouts/units/patrols to come to me.
              Rather, I make it a point to have a station or two set up
              at every significant scouting event where scouts
              are already located.

              eg: Last week, there was a big "Scout Show",
              1000 scouts + leaders at a big civic center event.
              We had an HF station, 2m Station, APRS running.
              It attracted a lot of attention among parents and boys.

              eg: Fall Camporee... sometimes the fall camporee
              falls on JOTA weekend, sometimes it does not.
              Either way, have a station set up. If you can't
              get into the rotation of the program. Ask to set
              one up anyway.

              eg: Summer Camps... have a ham radio night
              each week... After doing this for 6 years, we
              finally got a staff member licensed, so now
              they teach Radio MB during the day... We
              still show up once a week for HF night.

              eg: THere is a week of "Winter Camp" this
              week at Camp Hinds. I'm teaching Radio MB
              each night there on my way home from work.
              We get 8-10 Radio MB's this way each year,
              and it plants the seed.

              I read of many other Go-To-Scouts examples
              here on this reflector all the time.

              2. At each of these scouting events
              publicize the courses you might teach for
              actually getting licensed. AND
              If you hold a Radio MB course,
              conduct it for Scouts, Parents, and advertise
              it in papers for the general public as well.
              Get it co-sponsored by the Red Cross or
              something so you draw from several
              community groups. Not just scouts.

              I have no problem getting 12-20 registrants
              aged 10-70 years of age coming together
              to get their license. I hold two classes a
              year... and perhaps in different towns each
              time. My fall course usually involves a
              "Hands-On Saturday" which, by the way,
              happens on JOTA weekend. <wink>

              3. Be a familiar face at Roundtables, and perhaps
              on the District Camping Committees. This
              way you can influence the inclusion of
              Ham Radio at events, and with a little luck,
              you might be able to influence the DATE of
              Fall Camporees to fall on that infamous
              3rd full weekend in October.

              Have a dream. eg If several
              districts all have their fall camporee on
              JOTA weekend, you can score a major
              victory by getting the stations at each
              camporee to work each other!
              (In my experience, this is harder to align
              than the 9 planets of our solar system...
              but dream about the possibilities, and chip
              away at making it happen.)

              4. Sooner or later the community of
              interested or licensed Scouts, Parents, and
              Leaders you grow will be organizing their
              own JOTA events and asking for your help.

              5. There are tons of Den Leaders, Unit Leaders
              who are looking for ideas for their meetings. Let
              them know you can fill one of their vacant spots
              on their schedule with a Ham Radio Demonstration.
              How? Roundtables or Council newsletters.

              In a nutshell: don't ask people to come to us.
              We need to meet them where ever they are
              already at.

              Ray N1RY
              WJ0TA Maine
            • KB3CVS (Tom)
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
                Thank you everyone for the ideas.

                Unfortunately, we've tried most of them, with very little success.

                We'll keep plugging away, but thanks again for the ideas.

                The radio license classes are just about the only thing we haven't
                tried, and there are many radio clubs here in the area, which seem to be
                having a hard time filling their classes as well.

                So far, the Radio Merit Badge has been the most productive for us, and I
                suppose we'll keep working on that as well.

                Thanks again!

                -Tom-

              • Robert Bruninga
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 19, 2004
                  >>> zano_52@... 2/12/04 1:39:00 PM >>>

                  > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
                  > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
                  > for all coordination. Teach them proper
                  > Radio procedures. Plan games around
                  > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
                  > their break periods. de WB4APR

                  Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
                  above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
                  KC2MKS

                  REPLY: Sure, http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/sitemap.html
                  slide down till you find KIDS and SCOUTS...

                  de WB4APR, Bob

                  Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
                  subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

                  Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
                  http://www.natworld.com/ars/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links