Re: FRS Repeaters

  • Ray Vaughan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
      At 09:02 AM 11/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: "Chris" <w4yyz@...>
      >

      >> > Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!
      >>
      >> I wouldnt either, but it is a simplex parrot, and sold by Radio Shacek for
      >> just that purpose. If it is illegal, I guess we will know soon enough...
      >>
      >> Bob
      >>
      >[Code of Federal Regulations]
      >[Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to end]
      >[Revised as of October 1, 1998]
      >From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
      >[CITE: 47CFR95]
      >
      >[Page 541-542]
      >
      >Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.
      > (c) You may not attach any antenna, power amplifier, or other
      >apparatus to an FRS unit that has not been FCC certified as part of that
      >FRS unit. There are no exceptions to this rule and attaching any such
      >apparatus to a FRS unit cancels the FCC certification and voids
      >everyone's authority to operate the unit in the FRS.

      So... no speaker mics, belt clips, chargers, batteries, you name it.
      'attach' means attach. Even physically.

      And where do you find the FCC certification on a speaker mic?

      Something tells me the lawyers wrote this one without asking an engineer
      for a bit of help on common sense.

      Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
      KD4BBM
      ray@...